2013/2014 Winter - Should we be getting ready for 'snowmageddon'?

(550 Posts)
johnworf Wed 04-Sep-13 20:28:38

According to this article, based on past winters and other factors, this winter could be a very chilly one.

I don't understand half of the things used to predict why this may be but I'm wondering if I should start making sure we're ready for it, should it come?

johnworf Tue 10-Sep-13 22:02:55

I wore my new winter coat today for the first time. sad

It shows that for a small country the contrasts can be massive! I went out in a cardi and felt overly warm!

ErrolTheDragon Tue 10-Sep-13 22:47:35

We were walking on Sunday, T-shirts and had ice-creams; this evening's stroll by the river nothing warmer than a light fleece required. Malham and by the Ribble respectively... what's this rumour about the North being cold?grin

digerd Wed 11-Sep-13 06:56:56

SE has had a very cold wind making it feel colder. Still seen the hot blooded men in shorts and a short sleeved t-shirt. DD came round in a thick padded jacket at 8pm in her car.
Just checked last night's min temp - 12 degrees smile and still is. Cloudy, though, so won't get much warmer unless we get some sunhmm

redlac Wed 11-Sep-13 07:08:36

One of the local FB weather pages have predicted snow in Scotland before the clocks go back :eek:

RawCoconutMacaroon Wed 11-Sep-13 07:19:43

We had a hailstorm yesterday... Scotland, east coast.

RawCoconutMacaroon Wed 11-Sep-13 07:26:34

Sorry, the day before yesterday.

Rooners Wed 11-Sep-13 07:32:23

Sooooo cold this morning! I have no idea how cold but it had me almost reaching for the thermostat. which is set at 15 so will come on when it's ready I suppose.

RegainingUnconsciousness Wed 11-Sep-13 07:46:07

Just casually reading this thread, waiting for my lift.

Sweating a bit after walking up the hill in ~13C, and I've just seen a gritter go past complete with snow plough and flashing lights.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 11-Sep-13 11:09:54

Maybe they're doing some driver training? I hope so!

I think at this time of year, while there may be some north/south divide, its more east/west. First frost was typically a month or more earlier when I lived in Yorkshire than here in Lancashire. The east also gets more lazy winds. You know, the ones that can't be bothered going round you so they go straight through.

digerd Wed 11-Sep-13 12:18:37

Hazy sunshine and no cold wind today, so feels much milder than the last 2 days in SE. Only 17 out and 19 in, but feels more like autumn than wintersmile

leesmum Thu 12-Sep-13 07:28:58

Very foggy and quite nippy here in Manchester this morning, feeling very autumnal smile

johnworf Thu 12-Sep-13 21:17:59

leesmum I'm just north of Manchester and it was the same here today. Quite warm and humid though.

leesmum Thu 12-Sep-13 21:25:58

Yes johnworf it got warmer as the day went on, got loads of washing out! But its suppposed to drop very cold Fri and sat night.....I'm desperate to light woodburner but DH says it isn't cold enough yet [sulks]

digerd Fri 13-Sep-13 06:57:05

My wishes seem to be granted. 16 degrees atm, not that it feels warmer in the househmm. Definitely felt much milder yesterday. Not raining atm. SE

RegainingUnconsciousness Fri 13-Sep-13 07:50:28

We had 20C in devon yesterday. It's so humid though (currently raining) its so sweaty and warm and damp.

BlackAffronted Sat 14-Sep-13 08:11:03

redlac, windy wilson? grin

digerd Sun 15-Sep-13 06:46:03

shock 4 degrees atm confused. Clear skt so hope it's sunny all day to warm t uphmm

johnworf Sun 15-Sep-13 08:47:23

Where's the wind?

redlac Sun 15-Sep-13 10:25:53

Aye blackaffronted hoping its no true!

johnworf Sun 15-Sep-13 11:48:55

Just read this interesting article about solar cycles.

In a way hope it's not true as we're in for some pretty horrid weather otherwise.

Hmmmm, the relationship between solar cycles and weather is really poorly understood. The sun is exceptionally quiet, but there are so many factors that complicate it.
If there were a really obvious link then every solar minimum would see colder weather and every solar maximum would see warmer weather, so we'd have a fairly predictable cycle of about 11 years. But that doesn't really happen. I've got no doubt that the solar output does play a part but how much? And does it over ride other influences???

leesmum Sun 15-Sep-13 18:43:21

After possibly the most grim, dreary day we've had all year, the sun is out and just a few little clouds left, think tonight might be cold if the clouds stay away!!

You mean there is hope Leesmum? In the thick of the gloom here still. But it was a nice start this morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now