2013/2014 Winter - Should we be getting ready for 'snowmageddon'?

(550 Posts)
johnworf Wed 04-Sep-13 20:28:38

According to this article, based on past winters and other factors, this winter could be a very chilly one.

I don't understand half of the things used to predict why this may be but I'm wondering if I should start making sure we're ready for it, should it come?

digerd Wed 13-Nov-13 07:28:30

No snow as a clear sky but only 0 degrees which it still is. Heating again struggling to get to 21 in sitting room despite being only 17 at 5.30 when it came onconfused. Will have to put boiler back up onto Max <and hope I get my hot water to come back on - combi-boiler.>

Beautiful morning here on the border of Manchester and Tameside, bright and chilly. DS1 went off to school at 7.15 refusing to put on his school jumper, I think he might be a bit chilly at the nus stop!

Not yet regaining! At the moment the snow potential remains for Scotland (especially the eastern side) and perhaps the NE (maybe down into Yorkshire) for Tuesday into Wednesday.

Got down to -1.7C this morning. Pretty frost!

Sparklingbrook Wed 13-Nov-13 13:33:27

I can't believe the car was frozen this morning. sad How can we be having an Arctic blast already? sad

digerd Wed 13-Nov-13 16:16:40

We got to 10 degrees in the shade with it being sunny all day. The sky is looking white in the east? Don't know if it is light cloud or mist. 6.8 atm and the white is turning pink?
Think I'll take my pot geranium in for the night.

Meglet Wed 13-Nov-13 21:58:15

I don't believe in the Daily Express but I'm going to keep an eye on this thread now as winter is on it's way......

Sparklingbrook Wed 13-Nov-13 22:04:36

Newsflash.

My neighbour has put his car in the garage. Winter is HERE.

BelleDameSansMerci Wed 13-Nov-13 22:13:55

I am lurking rather than MNing at present but a snow thread'll lure me out every time.

Bloody horrible bloody stuff. Fingers crossed it comes nowhere near the Yorkshire side of the Pennines ever again but I know it bloody well will!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 13-Nov-13 22:17:35

We had our first frost here last night, then a sunny clear day with temperatures up to 12 degrees.

My winter tyres are on.

I now need to think about our supplies.

Then I need it noted that my flight out of Bristol on 18th January must not be disrupted!

Milder and wet and wild here overnight - we got woken by the wind and rain rattling the bedroom window, and had to get up and shut all the upstairs windows.

It is easing off now though, still breezy but the rain has stopped.

Interesting GFS this morning - introduces the possibility of snow for south Wales and perhaps the welsh borders into parts of Gloucestershire tuesday night into Wednesday. NE England and parts of Scotland look like a reasonable bet for tuesday into the night.

Remember - one model run and one amateur!

ECMWF also shows a possibly snowy picture for some too tuesday into tuesday night.
Both models then take us into a cold but not cold enough for snow regime thuesday on.

LostInWales Thu 14-Nov-13 08:06:45

<perks ears up> South Wales you say, oooh grin.

Sparklingbrook Thu 14-Nov-13 09:09:17

OYBBK this isn't fair. It's seems like about a week ago we were talking about snow and yet it was earlier this year.

I can't deal with a threat of snow for the next 5 months or so. <sulks>

GloriaSmud Thu 14-Nov-13 09:54:02

I looked at the models a few days ago and thought they were forecasting colder weather/possibly snow for next week. And then when I looked at 6am this morning, I managed to 'get' that snow could be possible for Scotland/North England and that there might be some in southern areas but probably wouldn't settle. And now both Carol Kirkland on BBC Breakfast and OYBBK have said the same thing so I'm quite pleased with my slowly improving model reading skills this morning!

Sparklingbrook Thu 14-Nov-13 10:00:01

smile DH was moaning about Carol's pony tail yesterday. He said she was too old. shock

I need to go in the loft and find the gloves/hats/scarves. <glum emoticon>

duckyfuzz Thu 14-Nov-13 10:01:24

oybbk I'm sure you're right, netweather and met office both predicting snow for us (NE) next week grin

digerd Thu 14-Nov-13 10:01:39

I got what I wanted last < not that it helped my heating as still took 2.5 degrees to increase by 4 degrees[confused>. but it did cloud over and night temp increased from 4-6 it also seemed to have rained by the puddles this morning, but my sleep went undisturbed smile
SE.

digerd Thu 14-Nov-13 10:18:26

And is sunny todaysmile

GloriaSmud Thu 14-Nov-13 10:23:58

sparkling ~ I'm fascinated by Carol's hair. I try to work out how she does those 'side buns' and pony tails with hair that is really quite short and fine!

Yep, time for hats, gloves and scarves to come out.

Sparklingbrook Thu 14-Nov-13 10:26:14

I think it was the pony tail swinging about Gloria. And she always calls Bill Turnbull 'Billy'. She's really funny. I love her nearly as much as Steph who does the business report.

Well now here in Worcestershire we have a howling gale and sheet rain and it's gone dark.

Yay Gloria, that's splendid soon you'll be able to tell me when I'm wrong grin

Phew duckyfuzz!

No real substantive change for Tuesday/Wednesday on the latest GFS. However, it is now keen to prolong the cold spell for longer with quite an exciting forecast for the Friday perhaps

Sparklingbrook Thu 14-Nov-13 13:11:41

No exciting weather for Worcestershire. Ta.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now