Could someone explain the symbols, etc on the IoW Stormtracker site, please.

(5 Posts)
SarahStrattonIsBackForJustABit Sun 28-Jul-13 15:25:07

What do the following mean, please:

+CG, +1C, -CG, -1G

Thank you smile

I can answer most of this smile

Basically a -CG is where you get a near invisible leader of negative charge move from cloud to towards the ground. From the ground a positive charge - a streamer moves up towards it. When they touch each other the current flows, flowing from ground to cloud. This can happen several times very very quickly causing the flicker you sometimes get.

With a +CG the charges are reversed. They tend to be associated with much more powerful strikes and are thought to be substantially less common than -CG ( negative cloud to ground). They tend to be that single really loud earth shaking strike that you get - single stroke.

I think the +1C is intracloud lightning. I'm just sorting out my java so I can have a look at the IOW site.

SarahStrattonIsBackForJustABit Sun 28-Jul-13 17:55:29

Thank you smile

The IoW site is brill, you can watch storms heading your way!

It is ace! java has got mucked up on my pc though so I end up having to look at the netweather one which I dont like as much.

oh I see it is -IC and +IC so negative and positive charge intra cloud lightning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now