As probably the only person in Britain who hates the heat...

(156 Posts)
Campaspe Fri 05-Jul-13 14:46:12

...could someone tell me how long this heatwave will last? I'm hearing alarming forecasts of it lasting for the rest of the summer. Gulp. Is this really the case? (Should say I live in the SW, and am very envious of those in the temperate north).

digerd Sat 06-Jul-13 07:18:36

Hooray- out of my thermals at last smile. But, I need a fresh breeze otherwise I can't breathe due to asthma. Was fine until I got older.
Sitting room faces east so feeling very warm but only 24 degrees inside

Need to cover my arms as don't like them all being wrinkly and can't wear a bra as restricts my breathing. Deciding what to wear when walking little furry dog, < who suffers in the sun> is a right pain.

Gnats etc love me and need to go out in the evenings in a suit of armour . So must go out now to walk the dog before it gets too hot for her.

Still able to sleep under (and enjoy) two duvets at night here in North Yorks and inside is fairly cool, so can't complain!

Don't like going outside much though- makes me feel a bit sick and dizzy.

RussiansOnTheSpree Sat 06-Jul-13 07:27:30

camp You certainly aren't the only person who hates the heat. However I do wonder which bit of the SW you are in. Last night I slept with two duvets and a hot water bottle (the window was open, we like fresh air) and it was just right. The temperature has dropped right down in the evenings since the daytime weather warmed up a bit.

BriefcaseOfFacts Sat 06-Jul-13 07:27:34

I love the sun, hate the heat. Can't bear sitting in the sun (torture!)

I agree with all of your list Campaspe grin

Having said that, it hasn't been too hot for me yet here. Tomorrow, however, we are outside for the whole day with friends - busy activity day rather than loafing around bbqing (forecast to be 28 degrees) and I'm dreading it <miserable cow>

RussiansOnTheSpree Sat 06-Jul-13 07:28:00

Also - hay fever isn't caused by heat! It's caused by bastard pollen. sad

It might not be caused by heat, but pollen does tend to get trapped under high pressure systems, which means that levels can get very high.

Latest gfs model run has it continuing until the 19th, although by then it doesn't show scorching everywhere, the sw is cooler.

I like the idea of the heat, but don't tolerate it at all. I think it's a blood pressure thing. I spend hot days in a permanent state of dizziness and nausea. Not to mention running to the loo every 45 mins to wee out all the extra water I have to consume just to stay conscious. I don't tend to swear which is one small mercy I suppose, although that may well be part of the problem.

Sadly, I don't tolerate cold well either, although at least in cold weather I can light the fire, bundle up and re-heat every so often. Despite keeping all curtains shut and windows open in the hot weather, there is no escape from the heat.

When DH and I married some years back we each chose half our honeymoon. For the first couple of weeks we went to the Maldives. Every morning after breakfast I would start to black out on the walk back to our bungalow and have to lay down on the path. Very embarrassing. For the second half of our honeymoon (my half) we went skiing and, in my husband's words, I "came alive" again. I wouldn't say I enjoy the actual cold (to be fair, you don't feel cold whilst actually skiing) but being fully conscious was bloody nice.

OP, I feel you pain.

*sweat not swear, I do tend to swear grin

RustyBear Sat 06-Jul-13 07:41:29

Could have predicted it would end on the 19th - that's when we break up!

ppeatfruit Sat 06-Jul-13 08:38:29

I reckon hay fever is caused by dairy foods (well it is in my case i don't eat it but when i do I immediately get hay fever symptoms and when I don't I'm runny nose and eyes free!!) I make ice 'cream and smoothies with just fruit and or with gound almonds to add the 'creaminess'

MumnGran Sat 06-Jul-13 08:53:37

I am on your side OP and also here in the SW!!)
Over 20 degrees makes me run for cover and start thinking about moves to Switzerland.

On the up side .....at least its not humid.

<< decides also hating beaches is a confession too far>>

MumnGran Sat 06-Jul-13 08:56:27

ppeatfruit
It isn't that dairy is setting off hay fever, just that dairy and pollen are both causing allergic response symptoms. sad flowers

digerd Sat 06-Jul-13 09:44:09

Dog walk was lovely as air still fresh and as I thought I wouldn't see anybody so early, wore a lovely elbow sleeved wide and wafty < much too young for me> top. I can wear only viscose and elastane drapy tops, thin stretchy jeggings with ankle socks < just incase the gnats wanted a bit of my sweet ankle blood>. Also smeared anti insect cream on my bare arms neck and chest that was uncovered.

Got back feeling like - but looking like mutton dressed like lambblush- a spring chicken. smile

RussiansOnTheSpree Sat 06-Jul-13 09:58:34

I have atrocious hay fever whatever the weather (not in London though, it becomes manageable there. Pollution obviously being better than 'fresh country air'). And I'm vegan. So it's not dairy causing it for me! smile

The nights are almost always chilly in the south west, even when the days are scorchy (as they are in eg penwith, even when it's not supposed to be hot). Smething to do with the lack of cloud and the proximity of coastlines etc. even in the hottest of summers - eg 2003 - there's always a noticeable dip round 10pm when the sun finally goes. The lack of a single city probably helps too.

amazingmumof6 Sat 06-Jul-13 10:15:42

my ideal holiday? skiing. that says it all.
I grew up in a country where it is hot from May - Sept and utterly awful in July & August.
hated it then, hate it now.

amazingmumof6 Sat 06-Jul-13 10:17:07

oh and I'm really happy to find that some people feel the way I do!smile

ppeatfruit Sat 06-Jul-13 10:28:28

We're an hour ahead here (mid N.W. Fr.) so it makes it cooler for longer in the mornings I'm not very good at time\maths so i may be wrong grin blush; I've just cut half the lawn dressed in 2 Tshirts track bottoms and 2 pairs of socks to stop stings covered in Neem oil and citronella grin.

russians you could be allergic to corn!

valiumredhead Sat 06-Jul-13 11:31:56

Hay fever isn't caused by dairy, it's caused by pollen. I have always had awful hay fever and don't eat dairy.

valiumredhead Sat 06-Jul-13 11:34:16

Last night was horrible,woke up about a million times ...

ppeatfruit Sat 06-Jul-13 11:45:56

Dairy gives ME hay fever symptoms valium some people can be allergic to other things as I said corn or wheat can be other triggers. How come some people get those symptoms all year then?

valiumredhead Sat 06-Jul-13 11:47:47

Rhinitis probably.

MrRected Sat 06-Jul-13 11:48:52

It was 26 degrees here today - middle of winter (E Australia). From Nov - March it doesn't drop below 23 even in the middle of the night with 100% humidity.

Stop yer whinging wink

ppeatfruit Sat 06-Jul-13 11:52:56

Yer right of course MrRected grin it's just we're not used to it!

digerd Sat 06-Jul-13 11:54:59

It is too hot in my garden now, so staying in. Sitting room facing east is now 27, but sun gone off the window as moving round to the back.

Much cooler in the back where no sun gets until 2pm, but my pc, tv and kitchen is at the front so don't want to sit at the back.
Changed into a sleeveless loose fine cotton top.
Don't think little furry dog and I will want to go out at 3pm as will be too hot. sad

Zappo Sat 06-Jul-13 11:58:22

A friend of mine told me when she lived in India temperature often reached the 40s. When it dropped to the 20s at night, people often dressed up in ear muffs and clothes to keep out the cold- it's what you're used to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now