As probably the only person in Britain who hates the heat...

(156 Posts)
Campaspe Fri 05-Jul-13 14:46:12

...could someone tell me how long this heatwave will last? I'm hearing alarming forecasts of it lasting for the rest of the summer. Gulp. Is this really the case? (Should say I live in the SW, and am very envious of those in the temperate north).

Bunbaker Fri 05-Jul-13 21:10:46

How hot is it where the rest of you are? We have had 22 degrees today which is very warm rather than hot.

I have every sympathy if you suffer from hayfever, heat rash, sunburn etc because there is very little you can do about it. Unfortunately, there are some summer whingers who don't do much to help themselves though.

HappyYoni Fri 05-Jul-13 21:13:31

Heat is shit

22 Bunbaker?? I'd love that.
It's been a sweltering 27c+ here in Herts. Even my poor dogs have taken refuge in front of the fan!

Bunbaker Fri 05-Jul-13 21:15:30

The forecast for the next few days is 24 degrees. Bring it on I say grin

valiumredhead Fri 05-Jul-13 21:16:47

22? It's been 28 here so stop flapping your gums bunwink grin

GertrudeMorel Fri 05-Jul-13 21:17:39

Oh I love it. I want it to last forever. Or September.

spiderlight Fri 05-Jul-13 21:18:53

I hate it too. I nearly fainted embarrassingly in the school yard at home time today. Anything over about 24 degrees and I'm miserable. I have to be out in it most of the day tomorrow because I've promised to take DS to a one-off outdoor event that he is wildly looking forward to - it was forecast to be cool and cloudy when we decided to go. Bah.

MorphandChas Fri 05-Jul-13 21:30:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ppeatfruit Fri 05-Jul-13 21:31:07

Hello all you hot weather haters i'll join you!! Another fair person who burns not tans heregrin over C26 with no breeze and I try not to go out! a few tips-; buy blackout blinds, plus curtains, if you've got shutters open them and the windows when its cool early in the morning on the shady side of your abode. as soon as the sun hits close them both (electric light is not as hot as the sun).

Live on smoothies made with ice cubes and or ice cream and lovely cold soups\salads so you don't have to cook and warm the kitchen up (if you've an adult meat eater) make them barbecue outside grin.

Zappo Fri 05-Jul-13 21:35:06

I'm not a heat lover. I always think it must be because I have very fair skin and burn/get prickly heat easily so it's in the genes- and my body's way of forcing me into the shade.

I find it difficult to sleep when it's hot, get horrible headaches and become very grumpy. Public transport is horrible.Exercise becomes very unpleasant. All you want to do is flop.

I woke up in the night moaning about "this tropical heat" which made DH roll his eyes and say"it's hardly tropical". He's a person who wears a duvet most night's to keep warm and likes the thermostat well over 25 in the winter.

I am very sensitive to the heat and because I'm always rushing around I rarely feel the cold (except in winter). I'm always the person opening windows or turning down the thermostat in the house. It's much harder to cool down when you are hot but like others have said, easier to add on layers and go for a brisk walk when you are cold.

I don't think I could ever visit a really hot country. I can tolerate spain in the autumn. But if there's anything worse than heat it's humidity. At least on a dry sunny day it gets nice and cool in the evenings. On a cloudy, muggy day it's unbearable at night.

I find DC are a lot grumpier and find it much more difficult to sleep when it's hot, another reason for my own intolerance of it.

If I ha to choose between a dry cold day and a hot day I'd always choose cold. However, I'd always choose dry over wet.

I really do loathe the wet.

Callmedreckly Fri 05-Jul-13 21:37:26

I hear you OP, went shopping late tonight to avoid heat & people.

Can I ask what to do with an 11 week old baby in this coming heatwave?

Is it ok if she just has a nappy on & maybe a cool flannel for face?

We will be staying indoors.

Unfortunately, there are some summer whingers who don't do much to help themselves though.

Well you didn't give any suggestions when I asked before, Oh Fount of All Knowledge. What, in your oh so knowledgeable opinion should the rest of us mere mortals be doing that we're too stupid to have thought of ourselves?

And I hate winter whingers. So we're quits.

GertrudeMorel Fri 05-Jul-13 21:42:16

Blimey. Where are you lot? Kuwait?

It's just pleasantly warm here (south east).

Not in my bit of the SE it isn't.

Bunbaker Fri 05-Jul-13 22:00:00

"Well you didn't give any suggestions when I asked before"

I didn't like to say because some people might take offense.

On holiday in Pompeii last year we saw loads of Japanese and Koreans with umbrellas to protect them from the sun. Why don't we follow suit?

Zappo Fri 05-Jul-13 22:03:20

"On holiday in Pompeii last year we saw loads of Japanese and Koreans with umbrellas to protect them from the sun. Why don't we follow suit?"

I have used an umbrella as a parasol before. Yes keeps the sun off your face but doesn't really cool you down!

GobbySadcase Fri 05-Jul-13 22:06:13

I'm physically and mentally healthier in the sunshine smile

Anyone know where I can get a longish range forecast or Coulommiers, France?

Parasols only keep some of the sunlight off you, so essentially they're not very good & you look like a throwback from the early 20th century grin

SizzleSazz Fri 05-Jul-13 22:10:01

We have a downstairs (slightly underground ) bedroom with a stone floor. Never gets too hot to lose a duvet

Not practicable for all I admit, but it does work!

LackaDAISYcal Fri 05-Jul-13 22:16:42

<Sits next to Campaspe in the shade and harumphs>

I used to lurve the sun, proper sun worshipper. Then after my DS1 was born 11 years ago, I started getting burnt really quickly and feeling ill after a day in the outdoors. Fast forward 9 years and I was diagnosed with sun sensitive lupus. Now I have factor 50 on from April to October, have to stay out of the sun at all costs and am generally the colour of corned beef all year round, even though my skin is positively cold to the touch.

If one more person says to me "oooh, you've caught the sun" I swear I am going to punch their lights out angry

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 05-Jul-13 22:18:44

It's been 27 degrees here in South Wales here today. Pretty uncomfortable to work (in a stuffy, overcrowded office) in, but lovely for throwing around a rugby ball on the green by the sea then tea in a lovely pub garden. I am freckled and burn easily, but after 4pm the sun is lovely.

Cool showers, thin clothes made from natural materials and lots to drink helps me to cope. For the house, being near the sea we tend to have a gentle breeze so I keep windows open with curtains more closed than usual. That keeps things cool - noticeably cool when you step through the door.

SurpriseMuffins Fri 05-Jul-13 22:36:08

Three things I hate about the hot weather:
Sweat, dry skin, and migraines.

Three things I love about the hot weather:
My house is not freezing, the garden looks beautiful, and...ice cream!

ouryve Fri 05-Jul-13 23:02:07

I do love the brightness when it's lovely and sunny and do feel I'm missing out with closed blinds at the back.

Unfortunately, us heat whingers often actually feel ill when it's hot. Or warm even (I'm at a time of life when hot flushes hit me at any time, which complicates matters). My boys don't cope with it, either and become very temperamental.

We're off to the northumberland coast for the day, tomorrow. It'll be a few degrees cooler than here.

Bunbaker Fri 05-Jul-13 23:12:50

OH is in Northumberland at the moment. He says it has only been 20 degrees today, so not exactly hot.

Whereabouts on the coast are you going to?

valiumredhead Fri 05-Jul-13 23:14:48

Cal I used to just dress ds in a vest and nappy, it was roasting the year he was born.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now