Here comes the sun....

(111 Posts)

The sun has got his hat on
Hip Hip Hip Hooray....

Well not quite, but come tomorrow and onwards. Models show it hanging on right through the coming week and into the next shock Potential for storms perhaps later in the modelling period.

Not quite nice for all, especially to start where western areas and Scotland could see much cooler weather. South eastern and central England are currently looking to be the favoured hot spots. Sunday looks to reach mid to high 20's but cooling off a bit on Monday.

It actually looks like the best weather we've had for a few years I think (if you arent about to explode with baby or a hayfever sufferer). Happy days!

Tullahulla Fri 05-Jul-13 07:29:00

I'm finding it hard to believe there is going to be a heatwave - outside my window is grey, gloomy and 'that rain that soaks right through you'!

Tullahulla, approx where are you in the country? It will take a little longer for it to reach the west. western Scotland doesn't really see it get going.

Any reports from coastal areas? I'm wondering how the lower than average sea temp is affecting things? (mist? dank?)

mummylin Fri 05-Jul-13 11:08:56

Here in Bournemouth it is beautiful, no wind or anything , just sunshine.

HesterShaw Fri 05-Jul-13 11:41:43

Mist and dank yesterday like you wouldn't believe, OYBBK. However the sun and wind got rid of it and today is sunny/cloudy and warmish. From tomorrow it looks proper warm and sunny. Hurrah!

hooray! that is good smile I hope it stays that way for you.

digerd Fri 05-Jul-13 13:26:42

There are several patchy clouds now, I'm happy the air is still clear and not humid/close. smile

GloriaSmud Fri 05-Jul-13 18:05:19

Highest temperature for us here (Leicester) today, was 28.4C about 45 minutes ago. Lovely weather <slaps on suncream and rejoins DDs in paddling pool>

Very similar for us too - 29C. Thankfully the house is still relatively cool.
I reckon that tomorrow we will easily top 30C.

Latest gfs model run cools things down on the 19th. However for much of that week disappointing temps are shown for those in the SW, far west of Wales and much of Scotland.

HesterShaw Sat 06-Jul-13 09:36:07

The models are lying <firm>

GloriaSmud Sat 06-Jul-13 09:49:56

26.8C already here with a slight cooling breeze. 'Tis lovely.

Got to 30.3c today. Met office forecasts often seem to undercook temps in these conditions.

HesterShaw Sat 06-Jul-13 21:53:08

They do, don't they? E.g. it was saying 17 degrees for here today. Er....no!

Meglet Mon 08-Jul-13 12:20:50

I hope it doesn't cool down and start to rain when the kids break up from school. If it could stay like this until September I'll be happy.

Looks like this is going to continue into next week, not always quite so hot. However western areas could become rather cooler in comparison to late. Some signs of a slow breakdown later next week. Lets see what happens over the next few model runs.

digerd Tue 09-Jul-13 09:25:00

7am dog walk was so chilly, I had to wear a jacketconfused.
So hope the very fresh breeze will be just right for 3pm today.
Definitely more comfotable yesterday than Sunday's suffocating, airless heat. smile. Didn't sleep so well last night, until I opened the window at 1am. Night lowest temp was only 11 at 5am, but sitting room that gets most of the sun stayed at 25 smile

Perihelion Tue 09-Jul-13 16:27:02

28C in Edinburgh near the Forth.......I'm speechless and rather sweaty.

GloriaSmud Tue 09-Jul-13 21:08:13

Perihelion ~ looks like Scotland was the hottest place in the UK today, although all the heat is causing problems with the railways.

A bit of respite for most for a couple of days and then Saturday looks super hot for many again (but not in the north of England or Scotland). A little cooler into next week - very pleasant actually, but then temps look to build up again.
Virtually no rain showing and this pattern is beginning to look set for a while (perhaps through to the end of the month maybe?????)

Perihelion Wed 10-Jul-13 11:05:14

A lovely 16C now. Some cloud and Haar came in last night. Temp peaked at 29.5C in the shade in my garden. Can't imagine how grim it must have been waiting for a train at Waverly station, which has a glass roof shock

digerd Wed 10-Jul-13 19:01:15

SE Much cooler today with a very cool wind. I took little furry dog for a walk at 6.30am, after just half a cuppa, as went out from 9-12 this morning dancing. The hall was freezing with the air-conditioning on and my hands were blue and yellow!!

After lunch I then slept for 2 hours . Just got back from the evening walkies and was refreshing. Nice not to feel flaked out with the heat. smile. Getting hotter again this weekend, oh dear. Please let there be a fresh breeze!

This weak cold front has been a bit of a relief hasnt it!
Was shocked at how wilted loads of my established plants were looking to day though. Its going to be a job and a half to keep up with the watering.

digerd Wed 10-Jul-13 19:48:43

And my glorious climbing roses began to fade and drop off last Sunday, despite me watering them copiously sad
Still got loads though smile
Just hope Thames Water doesn't hit us with a hosepipe ban again angry

The aquifers are full, so they would be very very naughty to do so!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now