Badkittens forecast for the coming week or so.

(382 Posts)

Ok.

Models I've looked at for this are GFS (incl ensembles, which I've chosen Oxfordshire as a base as its a goodish pick for central england) UKMO, ECMWF and NAE (for short term)

NAE (model goes to +48 hours)
Today shows snow in EA, north Wales and upwards at 18:00-00:00 it then thins the snow out to EA, nothern midlands (north England) and north east Scotland by morning through to the afternoon. It then shows precip petering out with just patches here and there. Worth noting how much it shows Northern Ireland getting by monday. Ice is going to be a massive problem for many over the next couple of days as max temps dont get above zero in many parts of England (away from the south and coastal areas) Wales and Scotland.

GFS: (model goes out to 9th April)
Shows a quieter picture next week in terms of precipitation (thank goodness as so many areas are beyond saturation). Signals are for precipitation to restart in earnest through the Easter weekend to about the 4th A fair bit of model agreement in the ensembles for this. Flooding quite possibly a problem again at Easter. Temps are cold throughout, perhaps a little warmer that the next few days but not looking like it will get beyond around 8C in the time period. Again ice will be a major short term problem for many.

UKMO (model goes out to 144 hours)
short term, EA has a lot of snow to come on this model tonight into tomorrow morning. It also shows a north-south precip divide with south of Lancashire(ish)/Yorkshire(ish) getting the precip tomorrow before it peters out. It then shows a relatively dry few days before thursday into Friday, where Good Friday may have difficult travel conditions. One to watch for sure!

ECMWF (model goes out to 240 hours)

similar to UKMO but then oh dear, on Good Friday a rather dodgy area of low pressure would bring the potential for widespread disruptive snow.

So, to summarise. All models in agreement for less precipitation after this weekend, but remaining cold. Ice a problem to start with and at night for many through the week. Towards the end of the week becoming unsettled again, with the chance for heavy rain or disruptive snow for Easter. No sign of Spring.

WildThong Wed 03-Apr-13 11:10:33

badkitten over here please!

We're going to Edinburgh Zoo next Friday. It's always Baltic there anyway because of the hill, but any idea what the weather will be like?

Friday in 10 days? I'd wrap up warm. GFS shows northerly winds, temps in the low to mid single digits and perhaps some showers.

WildThong Wed 03-Apr-13 11:54:49

Great sad

WildThong Wed 03-Apr-13 11:55:03

Sorry, thanks!

TheSilveryPussycat Thu 04-Apr-13 00:24:31

Just returned from London to the North East. Down south the wind from Siberia was bitter and chilled to the bone - up here not so bad, still cold but little wind. Never thought I'd be writing that April climate in NE is (relatively) warm compared with London!

digerd Thu 04-Apr-13 09:19:22

S.Herts

Don't wish to know that < fed up face> with bitterly wind which has got worse these last few days>

johnworf Thu 04-Apr-13 09:33:11

Eagerly watches thread with alert set when 'warmer weather' gets posted wink

Oh WOW! GFS has pulled a blinder today. Showing temps of 16C quite widespread next Sunday the 14th. And not wet, though wet knocks on the door. And on the Monday <can hardly breathe for excitement> there's a small favoured spot in the east that reaches 19C.
Pleasepleaseplease be right.

digerd Thu 04-Apr-13 10:29:47

Just got back from doggie walkies, and wind is still bitter. My ears need airing, but will freeze off if not covered. grrrr.

I'm not looking at the other models, I prefer to live in blissful hope.

usualsuspect Thu 04-Apr-13 10:32:50

19C?

<does a happy dance>

HesterShaw Thu 04-Apr-13 10:36:03

CAN IT POSSIBLY BE TRUE? shockshockshock

Shall I tell you what I'm wearing outside today? No? I'm telling you anyway.....underwear (obv), tights, longjohns, skipants, thermal vest T shirt, microfleece, jumper, normal fleece, SKI BLOODY JACKET AND SKI MITTENS, hat and scarf.

I have forgotten what "warm" is and am still suspicious that any "warmth" will mean SW winds, mizzle and humidity of approx 100% grin

MegBusset Thu 04-Apr-13 10:44:16

OYBBK how's it looking for the south in the middle-to-end of next week?

Pascha Thu 04-Apr-13 10:44:21

Am i in the small favoured spot? Please?

digerd Thu 04-Apr-13 12:35:17

S. Herts
Dammed weather. It sleeted later this morning as I had to go to the corner shop.
Now it's snowing !! grrrr.

digerd Thu 04-Apr-13 12:37:51

ps
Weather forecast on TV said it would be milder due to a low pressure thingy at the weekend. I do hope they are right - must do some gardening.

digerd Thu 04-Apr-13 12:41:13

pps
They didn't say it would be raining? Will it? < can't get myself out of this grumpy mood>

HesterShaw Thu 04-Apr-13 12:42:20

digerd, take your umbrella then smile

It's been sunny, windy and very cold here today.

I have had 2 loads of washing on the line, and my fingers froze hanging the wet washing out!

digerd Thu 04-Apr-13 13:02:03

Hester
Very funny. I don't ,<can't> do gardening with an umbrella in one hand.
Anyway, at my age, it's all about comfort and joy. I want to do my gardening on a nice warm dry day < stamps feet>, unrestricted by being all bundled up in bulky clothes, with a cooling breeze on my bare neck. Ah, what memories. Big smile.

HesterShaw Thu 04-Apr-13 13:06:08

I know <wistful>

It was warm once. For a week. Last July....

Madsometimes Thu 04-Apr-13 13:20:23

Sleet <sigh>
Not settling, but it's so hard to know what to do with the dc in the holidays when it's so cold.
I suppose it's good for children to be bored. Am thinking swimming later on.

digerd Thu 04-Apr-13 13:30:23

Well, I'm going to bed for my after lunch fortywinks - the joys of being retired. It's still snowing but not settling.

Hope it has stopped afterwards as little dog wants her 2nd walkies, but last time she didn't like it snowing, nor I, and we returned after 5 minutes.

Meg perhaps wet, depending on the position of some Atlantic low pressures, but hopefully warmer with temps maybe into the low teens.

Favoured spot (which I'm sure will change as this is looking waaaay into the future and its just one model) is shown by GFS to be around the Wash.

oh lovely kitten it is ds1's birthday sleep over 15th April I was really hoping to do a sneaky bonfire with marshmallows... do you think this will be possible

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now