Spring Watch

(57 Posts)

I'm hoping that soon the snow watch threads will be a dim and distant memory.
There is hope on the horizon! GFS is showing some early indications of a warm up for the Easter Weekend. now admittedly earlier this morning it was more optimistic and had some lovely warm temps showing for the 26th, but nevertheless there is a trend beginning to show.

So, what will the next few model runs bring? will hope spring eternal? Or will we be forever be stuck in this winter of discontent?

AmandinePoulain Mon 25-Mar-13 13:36:52

Well I've just gone out and bought dd1 a fleecy onesie and dd2 a sleeping bag with arms for when we go camping in 2 weeks in Brittany so watch the temperatures rise grin

In the process of hopefully uncancelling spring here

digerd Sat 23-Mar-13 20:28:13

Been grumpy all day. Faced the afternoon blizzard to go to chemist for my pills and potions, and it was shut !! Took little dog out and she hated it so we went home after 5 minutes. It took me longer than 5 minutes to get my eskimo outfit on and off. This morning's dog walk was OK as most of the snow had melted, but then returned with a vengence.

Was worried about DD driving to Milton Keynes , but she has just phoned to say she got there safely and the snow hasn't settled there. It did here, further south

Now worried about her drive back tomorrow.

AmandinePoulain Sat 23-Mar-13 18:28:34

sad

That is all

sad

as spring has utterly vanished from the models now I've started a general forecast thread here

digerd Fri 22-Mar-13 09:17:54

S.Herts
Definitely been dawn at around 5am here for a couple of weeks, as I feel I must get up - no way! Can't wait for the clock to go forward so I can feel right getting up and the days will be light longer which is the most important thing.
Snow supposed to be worse in the Midlands with SE also getting some < grimace face>

Sunrise 05:55
Sunset 18:13

Pretty far down south!

Wallace Thu 21-Mar-13 21:10:38

*towards

Wallace Thu 21-Mar-13 21:10:24

Me too apart from toddler waking at 6 every morning!

It would be interesting to see sunrise/sunset times from around the country.

Sunrise 0614 Sunset 1832

Forgot to put Location - Highlands, up towords Inverness.

Nature is determined to try and wake up despite the weathers best efforts isn't it!
I love the fact that there is more light in the morning now.

Wallace Thu 21-Mar-13 20:50:55

Springwatch: Loads of snowdrops and some crocuses in sheltered spots. Have been hearing woodpeckers for a few days. Have seen Oyster catchers smile

Was -8 last night but got up to 3 degrees this afternoon. Bitterly cold wind and light snow showers.

I'm afraid the latest GFS run postpones spring until the Tuesday after Easter.

Stupid weather.

Well worth popping over to the snow watch thread.

This is the eternal winter of our gloom.

AmandinePoulain Thu 21-Mar-13 14:37:06

That article makes me want to cry. I am sitting here in layers with freezing fingers remembering the picnics we were having this time last year. Dd1 had chicken pox just before Easter and I can clearly remember playing in the garden whilst we were stuck at home sad

I think this might be all my fault anyway, ever since I started maternity leave last July the weather has been diabolical. I'm going back in May so perhaps that'll improve things <hopeful>. We bought a campervan 18 months ago dreaming of nights away and cheap holidays. Ha bloody ha, we've managed to get out in it twice, and one of those times it was so wet and windy we couldn't keep the awning up, and that was in June! June ffs! Poor dd2 doesn't know what it's like to feel warm and dry outside sad

sadsadsadsad

MooncupGoddess Thu 21-Mar-13 12:02:37

Cheery article in the Torygraph here:

www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/9945237/It-is-supposed-to-be-spring-says-Met-Office-as-more-snow-on-the-way.html

It's like Narnia, always winter but never Christmas!

Meglet Wed 20-Mar-13 21:53:57

<<sobs due to lack of sunshine>>.

digerd Wed 20-Mar-13 17:09:23

S.Herts
really miserable today, very damp cold. Even my stoic male neighbour complained it was too cold for him.
I've returned to hibernation mode.
Getting lighter earlier but not so much in the evenings
Looks like dusk already here.

travellingwilbury Wed 20-Mar-13 17:06:07

Thank you kitten , I will keep my fingers crossed .

trsvellingwilbury, it would be one of those snow turning to rain events but if it came off it would depend on exactly where the low pressure ended up.

travellingwilbury Wed 20-Mar-13 15:50:49

I want and need spring to happen soon .

Everyone I see is grumpy and down .

This snow on good Friday kitten , please tell me it isn't in the south ?

LillethTheCat Wed 20-Mar-13 15:42:54

It keeps going back later and later this spring. We have just ordered some new heaters today so at least that wont be a waste of money just yet, though can't afford to buy any more oil until summer so it better not be too much longer

Spring seems to be postponed until next saturday at the earliest and GFS has what could prove to be a rather impressive temporary snow storm on Good Friday. Lets hope that vanishes off the models.

Meglet Mon 18-Mar-13 21:53:34

I hope it warms up soon. I need to wash my winter coat, I dread to think how much dirt has built up.

digerd Mon 18-Mar-13 20:06:11

S.Herts
Saw some miniture daffs blooming in a sheltered garden this afternoon.
Spring has arrived!

digerd Mon 18-Mar-13 13:14:19

ps
Pouring down now. Why am I always right? <fed up face>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now