Snow Watch Part 4. The Winter continues....

(921 Posts)

met office warnings For tomorrow for Scotland and NW England, extending to Yorkshire. NW Scotlant in particular looks awful with blizzard conditions.

I'm not quite sure about the warnings for England, I'm going to be really interested to see how they pan out. Tuesday scattered sleet and snow showers for many.

Don't worry digerd pigletjohn will get their comeuppance soon.

digerd Sat 09-Mar-13 18:08:07

Oh, Kitten

Is it going to be worse on the sunny, warm south coast than anywhere else ? Is the sea going to freeze over < only joking> . Being a plant lover I don't want his flowers to suffer.
Forgot to check my Camelias at risk
Just been out and one bud is about to flower. Think I'll put a mitten over it right now before it gets too dark to see.

pepperrabbit Sat 09-Mar-13 18:24:33

Oh dear, I have a class of 34 x 8/9 yr olds to do gardening club with on Monday morning! They'll freeze sad, and DH is forbidding me to go since the pneumonia last term - which he blames on gardening club...
Will we actually get snow? BBC says No now but Netweather remains at 95% yes.
In my head it's spring smile

Pepper, it's possible you will get snow, but fairly unlikely I think.

PigletJohn Sat 09-Mar-13 20:21:01

I need to get another litre of Ambre Solaire SPF 16, where will be open on Sunday?

here pigletjohn smile

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Sat 09-Mar-13 21:26:31

OYBBK - so in the central south east am I going to be hoiking the snow boots out or the sunscreen hmmconfused

Neither probably but you will need some jolly good thermals!

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Sat 09-Mar-13 22:31:28

OK - still haven't taken the winter tyres off 'just in case' grin

Hmmm, well snow risk in the south has grown again for Monday. Guess the low still isn't nailed down. Tomorrow there's a snow risk primarily for the east but coming far inland in northern England and the north midlands.

Sensible myhead smile

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Sat 09-Mar-13 22:38:31

Oh well, the snow can do as it pleases really smile I have my snow boots (for me) and my snow tyres (on the car - might have a spare one of my own too blush) so life will go on as normal, snow or not grin I doubt we'll get enough to close the schools or anything like that!! <unfortunately>

Wont be enough to close schools but it does look like the parts of the south will be affected tomorrow (and a little tonight). Snow to trouble those in central areas today but becoming predominantly an eastern affair later with perhaps enough snow to cause some disruption in EA/Lincolnshire/Parts of Yorks.

GloriaSmud Sun 10-Mar-13 08:10:33

0.6c and a slight snowy covering here (Leicester) and still snowing now. I'm spending the day helping to move a narrowboat (my parents are part of a narrowboat syndicate and the boat needs painting this week so has to be moved) and think it could be 'chilly!' Hope that everyone else is not as foolhardy as me has a warmer Mother's Day!

Perihelion Sun 10-Mar-13 08:25:42

Some snow and graupel in Edinburgh this morning. Fierce East wind last night.

digerd Sun 10-Mar-13 08:53:35

Piglet and Kitten
You both made me laugh this morning. Just what I needed .
After all my faffing about with my Camelia last night, it was +2 in the night and no frost.

Grey skies and my multi coloured plastic sunflower is whirling round like mad in the breezw/wind now and again.
Just tentatively opened the door, but doesn't feel very cold.
Just hope it isn't raining when time for little dog's walk.

UtterArse Sun 10-Mar-13 12:12:43

Can I have an Isle of Wight forecast Kitten please? smile Our local weather dude is saying we could see 24cm between tonight and Tuesday confused tell me he's wrong!

LillethTheCat Sun 10-Mar-13 12:51:06

It has snowed a bit this morning here in North Yorks close to Co. Durham, but not laying. Weather forecast suggests it will get worse this evening and over night, so who knows what I will wake up to.

How long is this bout of snow meant to go on for?

digerd Sun 10-Mar-13 15:31:44

S.Herts
Just been out <not for long> with little dog and the wind has increased in velocity and chill factor, but still +2. Back in my sheepskin gloves.

Also my heating is struggling to keep the room target temperature and boiler has not modulated down as usully does. So using too much gas today, grrrr.
Had the smallest amount of snow flurries.

IamtheZombie Sun 10-Mar-13 16:06:23

Crikey! It's snowing in South Shropshire. Zombie didn't think it was supposed to get this far.

well, things have developed rather since I've been out for the day (and it has been a very long and exhausting day so please forgive lack of detail!)

an amber warning for a small area in the SW. Looks like this pesky low pressure is really going to develop in the south. I'm really uncertain how far north it will move, but it also looks like the east will also get rather a lot in places.
where snow is heavy, blizzard like conditions will prevail for a time. Snow, winds of up to 50mph and temperatures not set to get above freezing. Not a day for going out walking.

East Anglia is my number one pick for the greatest area of disruption tomorrow.

GloriaSmud Sun 10-Mar-13 19:02:52

Met-monkey are going for the worst conditions being south of the M4 corridor. Would not like to be out on Dartmoor this evening/tonight.

Makinglists Sun 10-Mar-13 19:11:24

I'm a regular lurker on this thread - amber warning right over us - we're just to the east of Plymouth. Temp dropping and very windy - a real snowy wind, moaning around the house - will have to see what the night brings - quite excited as snow is rare for us.

makinglists, the uncertainty as to whether it will happen for you is fairly high, but if it goes as currently forecast it could be quite spectacular.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now