Snow Watch Part 4. The Winter continues....

(921 Posts)

met office warnings For tomorrow for Scotland and NW England, extending to Yorkshire. NW Scotlant in particular looks awful with blizzard conditions.

I'm not quite sure about the warnings for England, I'm going to be really interested to see how they pan out. Tuesday scattered sleet and snow showers for many.

fatsatsuma Tue 05-Mar-13 11:27:13

Ah hello Kitten. I came onto MN this morning specifically to see if your attention had been caught by what may be approaching, so it's good to see this thread back in Active Convos. If anything, the cold seems to be arriving earlier than middle of next week - people seem to be suggesting Sunday now?

GloriaSmud Tue 05-Mar-13 11:57:37

fatsatsuma ~ I've seen Sunday mentioned (for snow) as well.

Some weather websites have picked up on the possible wintriness ~ netweather and theweatheroutlook

It does seem to be bought forward to Sunday now. Could be some rather exciting weather with good convection; big billowy clouds, thunder, snow and hail.

This 850hpa chart caught my eye (remember those are temps high up above us). Note the abrupt change though!

GloriaSmud Tue 05-Mar-13 18:05:09

Ooo those temperatures take a dip!
They're giving us a 'high' of 2C for Sunday.
<gets thermals out again>

Argh! I was so sure it was all over, I had some washing out today and was just pondering whether to get DD's snowsuit ready to sell! confused

NOoooooooooosad

PigletJohn Wed 06-Mar-13 22:47:55

warm rain here on the South Coast, and will be for a week or so

Hooray for the gas bills and the garden bulbs.

digerd Thu 07-Mar-13 09:14:39

S.Herts
+7 last night and night before. +17 Tuesday and + 14 yesterday.
Rained in the night and is +9 but damp, so feels colder.

No flowers in my garden other than one old primrose blooming. Wallflowers want to but waiting.
Do not want it to go back to freezing this weekend - want it to get increasingly warmer and sunny so my Camelias can bloom < grumpy face>

GloriaSmud Thu 07-Mar-13 11:04:28

6.7C here (Leicester) and also had rain in the night.
Beginning to look more likely cold and possibly snow is a-coming from Saturday night onwards. Netweather have some thoughts on it here.
<puts on another layer over thermals>

digerd Thu 07-Mar-13 13:06:19

S.Herts.

Of course it had to be raining here when time to take little dog for a walk. So waited and in 30 minutes it stopped.
Have +10 now, brightened up but no sun as yet.

PigletJohn Thu 07-Mar-13 14:49:17

bright, overcast

and today a heap of tulips are poking their snouts out to welcome the spring.

Lifeisontheup Thu 07-Mar-13 21:45:20

Have you seen the met office forecast for Monday in the South East, max temp 0 degrees feels like -10, I thought it was spring and I'm working Monday night. sad

It really does look to be very cold. Going to be a big shock!

SmashingGherkins Thu 07-Mar-13 21:54:11

I'm sooooo over snow.

40comingsoon Thu 07-Mar-13 22:12:12

-11 with wind chill showing up for here on Monday!

Lifeisontheup Thu 07-Mar-13 22:12:17

Will have to get the thermals out again, I thought they were safely away until winter.

AllAboutTheTitsAndAss Fri 08-Mar-13 00:15:34

Oh fecking hell. And the heating broke today and it will be at least 4 wks before it will get fixed. Already booked in for ripping out and replacing. Sods bloody law. <considers booking a holiday in the sun to escape>

Oooooo....showing snow for east kent Monday.

I luffs it, proper ice queen. smile

We have really bad fog this morning.

digerd Fri 08-Mar-13 07:01:02

S.Herts
All sounds very depressing ," feels like -10" is a disgrace in March. Is that a siberian whip lash wind then?? brrrrr.

So long as it is a dry cold with sunshine, will be OK. Just wear eskimo outdoor clothes again < trying in vain to cheer myself up>
Had + 8 last night.

GloriaSmud Fri 08-Mar-13 09:45:06

'Orrible 'meh' day here in Leicester ~ foggy, drizzly, dank and 6.4C.
Cold weather is due to start coming in tomorrow night and we've got a forecast 'high' of 2c for Sunday. Think the country's in need of some sort of 'weather jump leads' to start Spring up again!

GloriaSmud Fri 08-Mar-13 13:22:08

Metoffice have issued some weather warnings for various parts of the country, for the next few days.

Still 'meh', grotty and 6.5c here.

mumat39 Fri 08-Mar-13 16:29:13

I hate to say it but I'm actually excited at the prospect of more snow!
<dons hard hat>

schilke Fri 08-Mar-13 19:37:25

I have persuaded myself that I'd like some snow, however my mid surrey snow has vanished. Humph!

digerd Fri 08-Mar-13 19:48:56

S.Herts
Very misty murky this morning, but only drizzle at 12 when I got home.
But, at 2.30 pm when ready for little dog's walk, it was pouring down.
30 mins later it had stopped and we went out into wet and mud.
<grimace face>. Not been looking like an eskimo these last 2 days but like a Brit in slightly padded raincoat.

Sorry I've not been able to update. Busy real life.

I think one of the big issues on Monday/Tuesday is going to be the wind chill. With very strong winds and temps reaching a max of 0C in places we are going to see a day time wind chill of around -10C in many places including the south.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now