I hate snow!

(13 Posts)
invicta Sun 20-Jan-13 12:38:39

Lots of people seem to be enjoying this snowy weather - snowball fights, sledging, days of work, school etc. I don't!

Although its pretty, I hate that the roads are blocked or difficult to drive down. If the children go sledging and hurt themselves, its difficult to get to the hospital. Although I have enough milk and bread etc to last until Monday or Tuesday, I am conscious of what we have in.

Tomorrow the roads and pavements will all be slippery and icy making it dangerous to walk and drive on them.

The only plus side is that theres lots of birds in the garden.

PS. I'm not an old lady but in my 40's, and have felt like this since my teens.

Confession over!

Move to Manchester, it seems to be snow-proof! Whatever direction snow comes from, it goes around Manchester, leaving an oasis of grey in the winter wonderland. If you don't want your snow, send it up here, I'd be glad of itsmile

digerd Sun 20-Jan-13 14:03:49

The only time I have been to Manchester - decades ago- it rained all the time, but think it was in the summer.
I am in South Herts, just north of London, and although it looks lovely, I have never loved it.

That's the irony of Mancunian weather - the hills that encircle the city, funnelling rain our way all summer, then shield us from snow all winter. Thus we get damp summers, and winters that are cold yet not snowy (and we have to listen to news full of people complaining about snow causing havocenvy)

I posted my theory on why that happens IMST on another thread. I'll just dig it out and see what you reckon.

Ok, my theory is:

Weather from the west creates orographic precipitation for Manchester as it is on the windward side of the Pennines for that scenario.

Weather from the south east, north east or east means that places like Sheffield get the orographic precipitation and Manchester remains drier as its on the leeward side.

Snow tends to come from easterly directions. Rain tends to come from a westerly direction. Hence why Manchester is quite a wet city, but rarely gets proper snow.

Orographic precipitation is when air lifts and cools as it goes over hills/mountains. If the temperature lowers to dew point rain happens (broadly speaking)

<nods sagely in agreement with OYBBK>

You would have loved my geography teacher! He loved all things weathery and it rubbed off on me, but I've not looked at charts for years. If I could I would go back to uni to do meteorology.
grin

But yes Op snow is shit. not really but I understand where you are coming from

How come the last batch of snow, clearly from the west (as it hit Wales so heavily) managed to blanket areas North, South, East and West of Manchester, but missed us out. I feel cheated, and your weather theory doesn't explain that.

BluelightsAndSirens Sun 20-Jan-13 15:42:27

I also hate the snow, I see no point in standing outside getting cold and wet.

It makes my floors wet and slippy, it creates more washing and it's COLD!!

My DC thing I'm a misery but I refuse to go out and I have never been sledging (DC all went today with dad etc) I stayed in under a duvet and peeled veg.

Fridays snow just didn't really make it to your region IMST. You were just on the edge of it. It stayed a bit too south until it pivoted and then it pivoted in the wrong direction.

Bunbaker Sun 20-Jan-13 16:24:33

"Move to Manchester, it seems to be snow-proof!"

Thank goodness. We are just the other side of the Pennines from you and have had about 4 or 5 inches. OH had to fly out of Manchester before dawn cracked yesterday so I booked a hotel for him at the airport for Friday night - and I'm pleased I did. OH made his flight and has now arrived at his destination.

I'm not far from Manchester airport, it's usually the last to close (and rarely closes at all). My DM once got diverted here when flying into Heathrow (which was shut due to snow). How's that for a "flying visit" grin?

ArthurPewty Wed 23-Jan-13 10:53:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now