Snow Watch Part 3 - The weather continues!

(938 Posts)

For when this one gets full up smile

Just checked the BBC forecast and I don't mind so much now - apparently we're going to get about 12 hours of snow on Sunday!

bureni Fri 18-Jan-13 23:37:09

I have given up on both the MET and BBC forecasts, still waiting for this snow after 24 hours, wonder where it is really?

MamaMimi Sat 19-Jan-13 01:13:44

We've had a few flakes (literally) here in south cumbria and that's it.

Still a tiny bit left over from it laying on Sunday but nothing else since and I don't think we are going to get any more now. sad

From the forecast on Wednesday we were looking forward to 10-15cm from Friday and over the weekend but none of it has materialised.

digerd Sat 19-Jan-13 06:38:32

South Herts.
Snow got going properly early afternoon. Up early as dancing was cut to 1 hour instead of 2 yesterday morning, and little dog didn't want to go out in snow, so sat around on MN.
Minimum temp. outside was only 0 last night, can't see yet if there was any more snow in the night as still dark.
Hoping/waiting to get my newspaper delivered and my home shopping groceries from 12-1. But narrow cul-de-sac road not cleared of snow nor my driveway, as can't do it myself < too old and frail>

Not much overnight here despite Met Office saying heavy snow for a large portion of the nighthmm

Muffinpig Sat 19-Jan-13 07:23:41

Can anyone tell me if north essex / south suffolk has had much snow overnight?

GloriaSnow Sat 19-Jan-13 07:23:50

Can't believe it, it's actually stopped snowing here! (Leicester)
Erm, looks 'interesting' for tomorrow (snow forecast, coming from over France way, pushing into the SE and then up towards us in the Midlands.)

We had about an inch so I am happy.

I slept the other way round with the curtains open so I could see the snow falling. [sad emoticon]

Interesting weather tomorrow, trying not to get too excited.

Did you enjoy Rosemarys baby OYBBK? Scary film. I watched The Others. I love watching spooky stuff this time of year. DH has just ordered all the old BBC ghost stories and we are working our way through them.

fluffacloud Sat 19-Jan-13 07:43:10

Muffinpig we've had between 1-2cm here but DP has said that Colchester Town has had less.

HTH grin

Problem with thwo threads is that I dont know which to post my update on!

Today it looks like like mainly light snow showers for those in central england. In eastern England these may pep up for a time. Not much really in the west.
Similar on Sunday but eastern counties may end up with a decent addition to their snow.

some scattered sleet or snow showers for Monday.

Better update later - off out in a moment.

Muffinpig Sat 19-Jan-13 07:57:07

Thanks. Completely in two minds whether to make a trip over there with two young DCs. Problem is that it might not be too bad right now but worried about coming back on Sunday.

Well we made it to MIL's. M3 and M25 absolutely fine last night except for one small bit of the M3 they were in he process of gritting. I've never seen the M25 so clear!

Only about an inch and a bit of snow here in Bromley though as opposed to about 2.5 inches when we left Southampton, but snow is snow and we packed the sledge and my 2 year olds skis, so that's today's activities sorted out.

Hoping for a bit more snow to be honest but we're meant to be driving back tomorrow evening, so a bit conflicted in what I'm hoping for.

Have a good snow day all those that have it.

digerd Sat 19-Jan-13 08:16:37

Well, newspaper still not delivered and is over an hour late. They deliver from just round the corner and across the main road? Bet they are not delivering and I'll have to get dressed in boots, hat and coat, and trudge my way over there and back and hope I don't slip and fall. Better phone first, just incase.<grumpy face>

digerd Sat 19-Jan-13 08:52:21

O goodie, my newspaper just been delivered on foot by corner shop and he brought me some milk too. He remarked how beautiful my snow /garden looked . Feels milder today, but snow rather wet so staying in as worried about me slipping and falling.
So ready to do my 2 crosswords now - not snowing atm.

Woke to the same light dusting as we had last night. It's snowing again this morning, still tiny dusty flakes of it.

reastie Sat 19-Jan-13 08:54:41

marking place thanks OYBK

41notTrendy Sat 19-Jan-13 09:00:53

Marking place too!
Got a lot here (Nottm) yesterday. Not sure what to expect today and tomorrow?
I do know our lovely sledging friendly road has been gritted angry

Follyfoot Sat 19-Jan-13 09:06:03

Been out with the tape measure grin and we've got almost 6 inches of snow. Still snowing now but its quite strange stuff - its a bit like that rain which doesnt look much but makes you really wet, so very fine flakes but loads of them. Watch out if you are coming to the Derbyshire Dales.

Oh and please dont forget to feed the birds sad

TobyLerone Sat 19-Jan-13 09:08:48

Woke up to about 1cm here! Big wow. It was snowing so promisingly when I went to bed.

Manchester, oddly, is having an invisible snow shower! The snowflakes are so small I can barely perceive them as they fall, but the ground is getting whiter by the minute. OYBBK, how can this be, when larger flakes took hours and hours to affect the whiteness of the ground before?

TobyLerone Sat 19-Jan-13 09:14:31

Maybe they're colder and harder? Big flakes often melt when they hit the ground.

I could be talking out of my bum... grin

Birds fed here Follyfoot. They stand outside waving there union cards till the feeder is full. grin

BlackAffronted Sat 19-Jan-13 09:25:48

We have had quite a bit of snow, but none of it is lying! It melts after an hour or so. Not fair!

ajandjjmum Sat 19-Jan-13 09:35:21

South Staffs - still getting small snow flurries that look like nothing, but amounted to about 6" by last night.

MirandaWest Sat 19-Jan-13 09:36:01

In York there is some amount of snow smile Had a walk last night about 11pm which was very good smile

Seems to be snowing a bit more now - quite light but seems to be still sticking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now