Please tell me, is M4 London - Gloucester clear for driving?

(15 Posts)
Fianccetto Fri 18-Jan-13 12:28:58

DH went for an interview this morning and said M4 was terrible, but he was going to brave it. Now, on his way home, he is talking about stopping at is parents for lunch and potentially staying the night there! Please tell me the state of all roads between London and Gloucester so I can pass on to husband there are no closures of major roads, don't stop, get home!

Fianccetto Fri 18-Jan-13 12:31:56

When I say all roads between, just the M$ and A 417 will do! grin

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Fri 18-Jan-13 12:32:27

Not sure where but on BBC news they said M4 was closed - check their website.

Wolfiefan Fri 18-Jan-13 12:32:42

Check highways agency?

ChippyMinton Fri 18-Jan-13 12:33:56

Really poor in Berkshire junctions 6-12 according to the radio.

You can look at the live cameras here

Hope he gets home safely.

scissy Fri 18-Jan-13 12:42:30

A417 round Birdlip (just outside Gloucester) is always treacherous when there's snow/ice, it might not be closed, but if I could drive I wouldn't want to attempt it today.

Wolfiefan Fri 18-Jan-13 12:47:23

In Glos. Our car won't move and people are struggling on our minor road. I would want to drive as little as possible today. Avoid minor roads, prepare for delay (hot drink and blanket/warm clothes), check travel and leave extra time. It'll be worse after it has frozen again tonight I think.

Mintyy Fri 18-Jan-13 12:55:11

Why don't you want him to stay safely at his parents?

rubyslippers Fri 18-Jan-13 12:56:40

M4 bad according to reports

i would encourage him to stay at his parents - weather is not easing up that much apparently?

CestTout Fri 18-Jan-13 13:00:04

Definitely saw tweets earlier saying it was shut in places but can't remember where. BBC travel news website is normally good.

meditrina Fri 18-Jan-13 13:00:20

BBC travel news for Glousetershire and it shows problems on both A417 and M4.

CMOTDibbler Fri 18-Jan-13 13:01:44

I really, really wouldn't do the 417 today. He'd be better going m5/m4

WildRumpus Fri 18-Jan-13 13:03:35

Last time I checked the M4 was closed between Swindon & Bath because of an accident. I'm sure you want him home but I think the most sensible thing would be to stay at his parents.

Bunbaker Fri 18-Jan-13 13:03:38

I always use this website to check the roads.

Fianccetto Fri 18-Jan-13 13:31:06

Thank you, DH is going to avoid the A417, as yes, it is hilly and treacherous.

I have those travel news maps up, but couldn't work out how to get the areas I needed, thanks for help.

I don't want him to stay with his parents because it is going to be far worse tonight, and as Wolfiefan says, it is likely to freeze and be snowing tomorrow as well, so he might not be able to get home tomorrow either, but knowing him, he would try, and that could be far worse on thick ice. Also, weather around where his parents live isn't great either, so he could have an accident between M4 and their place. We are on a fairly main road in Glos, so not too bad here now I've cleared & salted the drive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now