Snow Watch Part 2. Return of the Excitement!!!

(994 Posts)

Apologies to those in Norfolk who may well not be excited any more!!!!
This a continuation of This thread and is for model watching, forecasting and general excitement grin

Off to look at the models (and get dd up) back in a few minutes with latest thoughts!

Dawndonna Wed 16-Jan-13 12:22:52

Pesto If it is due to conditions beyond anybodys control, they have to reschedule. They have spare papers, different to the main paper so that they can't be told what's on the paper. Tell Dd not to panic and tell the school to stop upsetting her!

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 16-Jan-13 12:25:49

Best pack a bag of clothes when I go to work on Friday and Saturday then

41notTrendy Wed 16-Jan-13 12:29:08

Beautiful here in Nottingham. Sunny and snowy and crisp. They are predicting snowmaggedon on Friday here. Ds is meant to be doing a 1.5 mile Beaver Scout walk on Saturday!

hopenglory Wed 16-Jan-13 12:32:00

The Devon faction are still keeping their collective fingers crossed, hoping that against all odds it lands here

PestoFrostissimos Wed 16-Jan-13 12:32:41

Thanks Dawndonna smile

micku5 Wed 16-Jan-13 12:38:33

Two very disappointed children again this morning. Cold, grey and foggy near Bluewater

fatsatsuma Wed 16-Jan-13 12:51:46

Here in N Oxon it's been snowing very lightly but steadily for 5 hours - not really what I was expecting. It's so light it's not really affecting the roads, but every twig and blade of grass is now coated and it looks very wintery and pretty smile

Everyone round here has suddenly caught hold of the forecast for Friday/Saturday and is getting very alarmist about feet of snow expected - although according to the Met Office we are still only predicted light snow. We have a party here on Sunday and I don't know whether to go with my head and assume that the snow will be a minor affair, or go with my heart (and the neighbours grin)and prepare for the worst...

Starshaped Wed 16-Jan-13 12:55:08

Does this mean that Manchester might finally get some snow? The BBC website says not - it's predicting cloud and rain for us. Boo!

fatsatsuma Wed 16-Jan-13 12:59:28

okaaaay confused
Met Office app on my phone now saying heavy snow on Friday after all.

Met office are now saying heavy snow between 6am and 12pm for Friday in Worcestershire. I give up. sad

GirlOutNumbered Wed 16-Jan-13 13:50:58

My snow warning has been down graded to sleet!!! NOOOOOOOO!
I need to move some where less hot! (What?!)

Hoping for snow here but we're on the West Sussex coast so I don't think it's that likely. We did have an inch or so Monday morning but it had all washed away in the rain by lunchtime. sad I miss Wales, the winter before we moved down here we were snowed in for 3 weeks! It doesn't seem like winter without snow.

Met office just saying snow showers for us. sad

netweather has loads of snow for us for the best part of a week from Friday - I'm off now to panic buy wine and chocolate to survive DH working from home --and being able to see my MN-actual work ratio--grin. It's not so much the quantities of snow that's the issue round here, it's more the fact that the council seems to forget we exist re road gritting/clearing, and the other idiots driving stupidly that causes the problems.

grr, strike out fail there.

GloriaSnow Wed 16-Jan-13 14:36:18

LOL IShallWearMidnight.

We actually managed to get above freezing about an hour ago and got to 0.2C. It's now heading downwards again and we're at -0.4C.
On met-monkey (weather messageboard) there's talk of the metoffice amber warning area being extended eastwards a bit more for Friday's snow. Think a lot of the country's going to see a huge amount of the white stuff.

just got in, need lunch and then I will catch up!
latest warnings seem like a pretty good starting point though!

i thnk metmonkey are right about the amber warning area being extended.

Ok, the next gfs update is in about an hour so I'm going to hang fire on a full low down of the situation but to answer a few questions:

Pesto - your dd should be ok if it is in the morning (though getting home might not be so fun). GFS does have light snow by morning for you now, but the main bit looks to arrive around lunchtime. Obv, latest run may change the timings!

droit - no chance!

rosie - snow.

fedthefp - persistent snow in liverpool from the early hours of friday morning, but i dont know if it will be heavy enough to disrupt flights. If your flight is an evening one, then I'd be a bit concerned as the snow looks set to last all day.

saltire, once you get away from the NE it should get easier. At the moment it looks like its going to be the forst part of the journey that will be the trickiest. Obv check before you travel though as that could very well change!

starshaped - to me it looks like Manchester will get snow.

Think that covers everyone for the moment??

gnushoes Wed 16-Jan-13 15:22:18

Please can I ask about Brighton? My kids would love some snow... Met Office finally suggesting it might look likelier than it did... Thank you!

gnushoes. It looks like it will start off a snow but might turn to sleet in the evening as the dewpoint just lifts a little. So I'd make the most of it just in case.

IamtheZombie Wed 16-Jan-13 15:31:00

NetWeather is now showing 48 hours of snow for South Shropshire starting around 6.00pm on Thursday.

It's also saying the temperature at 9.00am on Sunday will be -14C. shock

Starshaped Wed 16-Jan-13 15:32:52

Weeeeeee! Thanks OYBBK - I hope so! smile

Fimbo Wed 16-Jan-13 15:35:31

I live in Norwich and it came to a standstill yesterday. I work in a school and stayed on to help look after children who's parents couldn't get to them. School is closed today. Mostly likely they will be open tomorrow. But the conditions are treacherous out there. I do not wish to perform my Torvil & Dean routine anymore. PLEASE NO MORE SNOW FOR NORFOLK!

I am SOOOOO disappointed...we usually get the white stuff but this week, apart from one small flurry over 2 hrs on Monday morning we have not nothing here nr Guildford.

So gutted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now