Rain warnings for the sw

(46 Posts)
OhYouMerryLittleKitten Tue 18-Dec-12 19:15:04

from the met office

I'm afraid further flooding seems inevitable sad

GloriaSnow Sat 22-Dec-12 17:12:43

Have already posted this on the Christmas thread, this is about the First Great Western train disruption in the SW. Note this bit: First Great Western advise customers with non-essential travel to not attempt to travel West of Taunton in either direction.

Some pictures of the flooding from the BBC website.

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Sat 22-Dec-12 19:32:07

Thank you for that info Gloria.
Appalling weather today - fog, high wind and driving rain. Nasty.
bbc report covering some of the issues check before travelling.
Not so much rain on Monday, but still enough to cause further flooding in the south and south west.

JenaiMathis Sat 22-Dec-12 22:18:39

We're meant to be travelling down to north Devon on Wednesday. I'm hopeful it's not so SW to be an issue and that the flooding will have cleared.

Still keeping an eye though (hence checking Kitten's threads smile

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Sat 22-Dec-12 22:29:28

Jenai, I'd keep a close eye on any road disruption, I don't think the situation is going to start to stabilise for another couple of days.

JenaiMathis Sun 23-Dec-12 10:23:24

Will do smile

From my obsessive monitoring of the Environment Agency river station data I see that the brooks and river nearest me are still rising, so I imagine that might be the case further SW too.

GloriaSnow Mon 24-Dec-12 07:06:16

Another horrible wet day for the poor SW.
And there are some travel problems and flood warnings for Scotland too.
More pictures of the flooding.

mum travelled up yesterday and although exeter station was closed she got a train from taunton/tiverton (she cant remember which hmm grin ) with on problem and no delays! So have hope, anyone travelling!

OhyouMerryLittleKitten Wed 26-Dec-12 09:20:30

Rain warnings issued for each day up to Sunday for the sw I'm afraid.

JenaiMathis Wed 26-Dec-12 10:18:55

Bugger! Heading off shortly.

GloriaSnow Wed 26-Dec-12 14:33:12

There are landslide and rockfall warnings for along cliff edges etc, for the SW.
<sigh> things just don't seem to be getting any better weather~wise sad

Thanks for posting that Gloria. A bit late of them hmm but glad they've issued it at last. We live on the south west coast path and there have been many landslips and some landslides locally. One that cut off a nearby village for a couple of days, another that has made a group of holiday cottages completely inaccessible and no chance of them being safe soon, one that filled several houses half a mile down the road full of mud two days before Christmas and another two that blocked the lane out of our village. And that's just the ones I've seen within a few miles of us.

OhyouMerryLittleKitten Wed 26-Dec-12 17:56:30

Crickey starfish, it must feel a bit apocalyptic down there!

OhyouMerryLittleKitten Wed 26-Dec-12 17:57:14

It would be so nice to be able to let this thread die a death.

It does a bit! More dramatic I think as we are right on the beach overlooking English Channel so we can see the weather systems coming in over the sea from quite a distance. And then another and another and another hmm. There is no shelter from the weather so when it hits it hits hard!

Holding out for better weather. A little bit of sunshine and it is absolutely blissful here. Earlier in December I was on the deck barefoot in just a t-shirt because the sun is so strong. <reminisces and hopes>

SeaShellsMyDogTrulySmells Thu 27-Dec-12 22:03:27

Sorry to hijack slightly but does anyone know what hit east Dorset this morning? Massive cracks of thunder that started 2 major fires local, with v strong wind and rain, which stopped suddenly v soon after. Thunder was 6.15am. I assume it was just a localised storm and not anything more exciting like Armageddon

OhyouMerryLittleKitten Thu 27-Dec-12 22:15:56

It was a rather active cold front I believe. They can be pretty potent. We had similar in the early hours of Christmas Day, but with out the fires.

OhyouMerryLittleKitten Thu 27-Dec-12 22:16:42

Tomorrow I'll have a better look for you, because it was a bit dramatic from reports!

SeaShellsMyDogTrulySmells Thu 27-Dec-12 22:36:36

Thanks smile

OhyouMerryLittleKitten Thu 27-Dec-12 23:37:05

Bump if I forget!

OhyouMerryLittleKitten Fri 28-Dec-12 10:45:19

Had a quick look and there was a trough running across the area with a large amount of windshear - rather good conditions for forming storms.

A lot of wind shear showing around the cold front on New Years eve. One to watch.

SeaShellsMyDogTrulySmells Fri 28-Dec-12 11:46:24

What is windshear blush

Thanks so much grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now