A guy told me today we're in for the worst winter in a long time, will go to -13!!

(15 Posts)
CuriousMama Sat 08-Dec-12 22:53:50

Sounds awful. I'm worrying about people who can't afford to heat their homes and the homeless.

I feel so helpless as don't have spare cash to help that way. I wish there was some way to help though?

AnAirOfHopeInAManger Sat 08-Dec-12 22:56:33

Can someone really guess how cold its going to get?

CuriousMama Sat 08-Dec-12 22:58:11

I think he'd heard it somewhere? Hope he's wrong.

CuriousMama Sat 08-Dec-12 23:01:06

Warning: Mail link. Sounds even worse!

DeckTheHallsWithBoughsOfJolly Sat 08-Dec-12 23:01:25

I'm sure we've had -13 in recent years. The Siberians manage in -20 plus so I'm sure we'll be fine

Hopeforever Sat 08-Dec-12 23:01:51
CuriousMama Sat 08-Dec-12 23:18:38

Yes in our homes we'll be ok. I just worry about the growing number of people who can't afford heat or homes.

OodKingWenceslas Sat 08-Dec-12 23:23:27

My greenhouse thermometer showed -9 from the other night. Even if it's not that accurate its still pretty cold for early Dec

wonderstuff Sat 08-Dec-12 23:25:21

Last year everyone was saying it was going to be really really cold and it wasn't. Long-range forecasting is terribly difficult and unreliable.

Agree would be hard on a lot of people this year. I do feel very lucky I can afford to heat my home. Is a really awful that so many people can't.

On a purely selfish note I do like the odd snow day. Our village gets cut off quite easily and being forced to stay home and not venture out to work is rather nice every now and again.

DeepPurple Sat 08-Dec-12 23:26:18

Someone told me -20. How can anyone be really sure though? They get the weather right as often as horoscopes IMHO. In fact, I could probably predict it better.

TBH OP I think that even being down to 0 degrees isn't great if you're homeless or have no heating. If you can't help financially then is there anyway you could give some time to help at your local shelter? Or donate old clothes to a charity shop which raises money for a homeless charity?

I think it's a disgrace the amount we are charged for fuel; and those who are on PAYG meters pay loads more than those who pay monthly. Hit the poorest every time.

And at least you're concerned about others, which is more than you can say for this fuck awful government we've got without them being elected by any of us

CuriousMama Sat 08-Dec-12 23:44:49

I've been looking for local places and can't find anywhere very close but I'll ask around.

juneybean Sat 08-Dec-12 23:47:42

It was pretty cold in 2010, my diesel gelled in my car and that happens at -12 I think

mercibucket Sat 08-Dec-12 23:49:17

It depends who is doing the forecasting. Some enterprising people have set up their own site and just sell 'it's a scorcher' 'it's the big freeze' stories to the papers, who are more interested in buying those kind of predictions than actual proper 'it's going to be a bit wet' 'it'll be a bit cold' ones

mercibucket Sat 08-Dec-12 23:49:17

It depends who is doing the forecasting. Some enterprising people have set up their own site and just sell 'it's a scorcher' 'it's the big freeze' stories to the papers, who are more interested in buying those kind of predictions than actual proper 'it's going to be a bit wet' 'it'll be a bit cold' ones

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now