Perhaps some snow for southern England.

(265 Posts)
OhYouMerryLittleKitten Tue 04-Dec-12 07:56:32

Maybe some snow for some of southern England and east Anglia in the early hours tomorrow. It is marginal and many will see rain instead, but I think that the chilterns may see some and perhaps the higher part of the Downs as well. Could be a messy mix, so don't get too excited!

BahSaidPaschaHumbug Tue 11-Dec-12 09:29:50

Didn't last long but there is a sprinkling on the ground. Blue sky here now too.

digerd Tue 11-Dec-12 09:55:21

-1.6 in the night, and woke to blue skies, but now grey skies and 0. Forecast is for freezing fog next few days and looks like freezing misty murks at the moment. < grrrr>

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Tue 11-Dec-12 14:07:46

There could be a bit of snow around on Thursday morning. If you like snow, make the most of it. Though don't give up on the rest of the month just yet...... Some hints in the latest model run of just possibly some more to come towards the end of next week( thigh the model keeps flipping so don't hold your breath)

digerd Tue 11-Dec-12 16:34:36

0 degrees since 3.30pm, and feeling colder in house, so having to put heating heating up 1 degree 3 hours earlier than usual grrrrrrr.
Walking to dance class tomorrow, and last week was so cold in the hall, this week I shall be going and dancing in several layers that I can take off as I warm up. The heating will probably have been increased, and I'll pass out.
Refuse to pay £7 for taxi for a 5-minute walk< grumpy face>

-5 here tonight! (Reigate)

Lifeisontheup Wed 12-Dec-12 07:21:41

We've got a little bit of snow here today (Hampshire/Surrey borders) I'm sure it wasn't forecast, just fog which did happen last night but had gone by 5am this morning. Very pretty but very cold.

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Wed 12-Dec-12 07:40:58

That's the thing I guess with fog, sometimes it can thicken up into stratus, so it's the snow equivalent of drizzle (but much prettier!)
We have a low of -5.8c. We live in a bit of a frost hollow so tend to be down by a couple of degrees compared to other local areas.

GloriaSmud Wed 12-Dec-12 07:51:50

-3.1 here (Leicester)

Shinyshoes1 Wed 12-Dec-12 08:03:23

I'm in Essex and I didn't get snow sad

Are you any better today OYMLK?

At 7.30 this morning is was overcast and DH did not need to scrape the car windows.

By 8.30 everything was covered in a thick layer of ice and frost, and the fog had started to descend.

It's now 9.30 and its getting foggier.

pepperrabbitanddesultorytinsel Wed 12-Dec-12 10:22:55

-5 and bitter here this morning. (NE Hants)
No snow though angry
We had all our fog yesterday/last night I think, unless it's due to arrive later?

headfairy Wed 12-Dec-12 11:21:02

Properly cold in east Surrey this morning. -5 on the school run and still hovering between -1 and 0. Not even a glimmer of sunshine to warm things up like yesterday. The clouds look really heavy too, surely we'll have a flake or two today?

bellabelly Wed 12-Dec-12 11:28:19

OhYouBadKitten, my mum used to sometimes say "Oh it's too cold to snow" - I never understood if she was being serious or making a silly joke. Can you shed any light on her baffling statement for me? Can it actually be too cold to snow?

pepperrabbitanddesultorytinsel Wed 12-Dec-12 12:07:57

It's now a balmy -2 here smile

digerd Wed 12-Dec-12 16:21:18

It was -4 here, and everything looked sparkling silver - rather pretty - all the leafless trees/bushes, and didn't melt during the day as never got over 0 degrees. Mist cleared quite quickly, but sun didn't last long.

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Wed 12-Dec-12 18:39:57

Bella, not at all, it snows in the arctic smile
However our coldest weather tends to come from very dry air masses, which makes it an observational saying rather than a causal statement if you see what I mean.

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Wed 12-Dec-12 18:41:36

Manky, not yet, going to talk to the gp about some time off so I can see if rest helps. (Bit of a novel statement that for me!)

Sparklingbrook Wed 12-Dec-12 18:44:49

Hello! Well we thought we had snow but apparently we didn't. Here confused

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Wed 12-Dec-12 18:48:29

grin we had rime too. Highlighted the cobwebs very nicely!

Sparklingbrook Wed 12-Dec-12 18:49:53

I have never heard of rime blush Is that bad? The cobwebs all looked fabulous though.

QueenoftheHolly Wed 12-Dec-12 18:50:44

Lying in hospital at beginning of (I fear) a long slow induction. I've always loved snow so much & really want LO to be born when its snowy :-) worth just missing out on the 12/12/12 birthdate for!

I'm in the right place (herts) so fingers crossed.
Also FX for snowy Christmas, keep us up to date kitten you're a star! grin

QueenoftheHolly Wed 12-Dec-12 18:53:04

Where I come from - rural midlands - a very thick white frost was always called a hoar (sp?) frost.
Anyone else heard of this?

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Wed 12-Dec-12 19:05:45

There are subtle differences between hoar and rime frost. From what I understand....

Rime frost comes from a very cold moist atmosphere like freezing fog. It usually freezes on contact and forms an icy layer.

Hoar frost forms from supercooled dew droplets and grow as ice crystals. So if it has a feathery appearance growing from leaves and the such like it will be hoar frost.

Of course as the weather changes, you could get one and then the other!

wierdest thing this morning. We woke to about a cm or two of snow (east anglia) but it was literally in our road and one or two more - as I drove dd to school about a mile away there was none at all...spooooky!

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Wed 12-Dec-12 19:08:45

So how is the induction going yet? Any niggles?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now