Perhaps some snow for southern England.

(265 Posts)
OhYouMerryLittleKitten Tue 04-Dec-12 07:56:32

Maybe some snow for some of southern England and east Anglia in the early hours tomorrow. It is marginal and many will see rain instead, but I think that the chilterns may see some and perhaps the higher part of the Downs as well. Could be a messy mix, so don't get too excited!

digerd Sun 09-Dec-12 10:10:16

Last night minimum +4, so getting milder, and now skies clearing and some sunshine + 7 atm

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Sun 09-Dec-12 10:13:08

Tomorrow is going to be a bit of a shock after today I'm afraid. Also looks like the Pest will be held at bay until the weekend now.
Very gloomy here and damp (humidity at 90%)

pepperrabbitanddesultorytinsel Sun 09-Dec-12 12:29:59

<waves new thermals defiantly at the weather>
grin

digerd Sun 09-Dec-12 14:11:07

Still bits of blue sky here, +9 degrees but feels chilly damp out and more like +6 we had yesterday. min +4 in the night, so heating went off sooner this morning- less gas used - yeah!!

so cold this week? But no snow? <Shakes fist at sky>

We neeeeeeeeeeeeeed a snow day!!!

digerd Sun 09-Dec-12 20:09:04

8pm and already down to +4 with 76% humidity, so probably a much colder night to come. It did feel really nasty cold even at +9 today. Roll on Spring, I say, had enough of winter already, and the long dark nights < miserable face>

alcibiades Sun 09-Dec-12 20:50:20

Although I like looking at snow (it's still as magical as it was when I was a child decades ago), I'm a complete wimp when it comes to slippery surfaces. So I'm very ambivalent about the weather in winter. And, like digerd, the long dark nights don't help - I don't mind it getting dark in the late afternoon, it's the dark mornings that get me down.

I've started a new thread for collecting useful and informative websites, and there's one site that gave me the idea to do that, and that's run by Reigate Grammar School: rgsweather.wordpress.com/. It might be useful as it's a bit more localised than the MetOffice sites, plus there are explanations I can (mostly) understand.

I know nothing about the school, but how cool is it to have their own weather station? And a teacher who'll go that extra mile to help youngsters have a better understanding of the weather. smile

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Sun 09-Dec-12 20:54:02

They look like they know what they are doing. Practically the same set up as my station down to the same software grin

Good idea to do that thread alci.

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Sun 09-Dec-12 20:57:25

It is a very nice website.

digerd Mon 10-Dec-12 09:25:48

Just remembering being in Gran Canaria over Xmas /Newyear, and hours of daylight were 7am-7pm and 30 degrees, but not like our 30, it was fresh , dry air, and felt more like our 23.
Lovely blue skies so far today, +2 minimum in the night. Just opened the door and air feels lovely, clear and fresh @ +3. Not damp cold today, as yet.

JKSLtd Mon 10-Dec-12 11:08:10

Lovely sunshine in south Essex today smile

Kitten - are we to expect more chaos snow anytime soon do you think?

headfairy Mon 10-Dec-12 11:17:49

alci tis a very good, highly selective independent school, very difficult to get in to and expensive when you do... I'm not surprised they have their own weather station, probably got their own satellite in space too grin

iPhone weather app is now showing heavy snow for SW London on Wednesday. Met office says cloudy...

digerd Mon 10-Dec-12 19:10:11

We had lots of sun today also. Now only +2, and feeling colder. Expect even colder tomorrow, unless it suddenly warms up over night, which I doubt.

JKS. Do you border South Herts?

JKSLtd Mon 10-Dec-12 21:31:26

Nope not Herts.
My iPhone app says sleety stuff overnight but no snow showing up. Hopefully we've dodged it this time.

alcibiades Mon 10-Dec-12 22:00:47

headfairy - "their own satellite" grin.

Given the advances in recording systems, I reckon most schools should have one. I would like to have one here, but I have a very small garden, and probably the pigeons would land on the anenometer, and crap in the rainfall gauge.

Meglet Mon 10-Dec-12 22:05:57

So the forecast for Hampshire is cold, cold, cold, cold, WET.

But no snow sad.

pepperrabbitanddesultorytinsel Mon 10-Dec-12 22:12:47

meglet I think we're fairly close? I'm NE Hampshire, we have one solitary snowflake on the BBC forecast for Thurs, followed by heavy rain angry

No snow forecast here * sniff * sad

TobyLerone Tue 11-Dec-12 08:38:53

Freezing here in Kent, but the weather says no snow sad

BahSaidPaschaHumbug Tue 11-Dec-12 08:49:23

Toby its snowing here!

BahSaidPaschaHumbug Tue 11-Dec-12 08:51:55

Proper big flakes too. Forecast says rain or possibly sleet.

TobyLerone Tue 11-Dec-12 09:04:05

shock Blue sky here! Bloody freezing, but blue sky and sunshine!

envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now