Lots of rain warnings

(336 Posts)

Including amber for part of the south.

Blimey rumbaa, do we need to send in an mn rescue team to you?

3 severe flood warnings out

updated warnings wind warnings now cover almost all of the south and east Anglia. That's an upgrade.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Sat 24-Nov-12 22:49:04

Chanatan - can he not just call work and say he can't make it? He might get there and not be able to get home again - is it really worth it?

RumBaaBaa - I'll be thinking of them all sad

Apologies to all you flooded people for moaning about soggy Santa earlier. sad

RumBaaBaa Sat 24-Nov-12 22:53:50

We are tucked up in bed and safe. Our village is in no danger of flooding but it would be interesting if you needed to leave in a hurry. There is now no road access so it would be air ambulance only. I am a bit nervous because my youngest has seizures which mean we are in hospital a lot, otherwise I don't think I would be bothered. Thinking of the low lying villages near us though. Millbrook has 5ft of water.

Rain has just cleared, after 15hours straight of torrential rain which I guess is now moving up country. Wind picking up a bit more now.

Startail Sat 24-Nov-12 23:03:32

Hoping DSIL isn't working, she's in Cornwall and her house will be fine, but work may not be. Record levels being reported for the river Hayle.

Can't ring if she isn't on call she'll be asleep.

East Anglia is now included in the severe weather warnings for gales, with a comment that it may be worst affected. You can see why t15

DH managed to write off the car. sad
He drove through a puddle, went a bit further, saw an impassable flood, turned around and drove back through what had been a puddle 10 minutes earlier. It wasn't and the car is now dead and gone.

He was safe and Green Flag came out quickly, he waded through the flood and sat on a stile until they got there. It was quite shocking how quickly the water rose up.

Thanks as always to OYBBK for this thread thanks

TheMysteryCat Sat 24-Nov-12 23:10:43

I'm atop a big hill on the far sw coast and the storm is insane!

No chance of flooding, but bins flying down the road and the noise is incredible.

How it passes soon

Oh norks sad I'm glad your dh was safe though, that's the important thing.

TMC, Tis so odd, here it is still dead calm....... It's what I expect but it's not many hours now til it hits here (shouldn't be too bad here). It sounds like it has quite a high mean speed, is the wind quite continuous?

LadyStark Sat 24-Nov-12 23:26:56

Thank you, it's very close to sea (as in the end of the garden turns into beach) so hope it remains sheltered.

Sounds scary out there, sorry to hear about your car Norks but glad DH is ok.

Stay safe everyone.

TheMysteryCat Sat 24-Nov-12 23:28:30

Oybbk,

I'm up on the north coast of Cornwall. The wind is constantly gusting and whipping round anti- clockwise, at least that's what it sounds like as a pattern round the house! Hope that makes sense. It's chucking it down too. There are flood warnings in all the villages as lots of rivers here and they had already bust their banks earlier in the week.

It's a weeny bit scary!

It does make sense tmc and considering Cornwall isn't even in a wind warning area....

Am off to bed for a bit of shut eye.. Night all, stay safe.

RumBaaBaa Sat 24-Nov-12 23:34:41

Night night x

TheMysteryCat Sat 24-Nov-12 23:36:38

Night oybbg

Norks- that must have been quite scary for your DH!

Wind is awful here in south Devon, there's an old evergreen tree in a neighbours garden that is dying, its really moving atm and Im worried as if it fell towards us it will land on our bedroom. sad

The coastal roads here are closed as the sea is breaching the walls and all the fishing boats are safely moored up, so it must be getting bad.

Hope everyone is safe.

Thanks all, DH was scared, but mostly very very sad sad
We have all been in mourning for the car and have been wearing black.

Hope everyone stays warm, dry and safe.
I hope all trees stay upright and all rivers stay in their beds

drmelons Sat 24-Nov-12 23:45:56

There is another similar thread going tonight where people are posting advice to those worried a out flooding. The thread is called something like 'help I'm scared my house is going to flood' lots of people have said some very sensible things, for what it's worth my two pennies worth is as follows....

I would start to move anything of monetary or sentimental value upstairs tonight, it's a pita but it would be one less thing to do in a hurry. Also find something large and heavy (logs are ideal) and move them inside to use to prop up large pieces of furniture on. We flooded over a metre the first time but the last couple of times something like this would have been a life saver! It may also sound obvious but organise child or pet care 'just in case' for tomorrow (again its one less thing to worry about.)

Also have bottles of water a bag packed in case you have to get out quickly and make sure all documents are somewhere safe.

It is also worthwhile checking your insurance policies, e.g. Who would pay for temp accommodation if you had to move out for a while etc.

One of the low points we had was trying to find somewhere else to live. Holiday houses are best as they are fully equipped (we lost all kitchen equipment, sofas, washing machines etc) we lost Internet access due to our flooding so trying to find somewhere was awful. Maybe having a list to hand compiled before would help?

Some very good points there DrMelons. (Am in bed now! Just need to close iPad!) obv charging phones is also sensible.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Sat 24-Nov-12 23:58:16

OYBBK - what time do you think it will hit us - still very dry & quiet here!

mumat39 Sun 25-Nov-12 00:10:47

Bbc news 24 covering flooding in Cornwall. Stay safe everyone.

Morning all! As I said on t'other thread, I'm knackered after finally falling asleep around 3 hours ago.
Why did thr wind make my bedroom radiator rattle? Most puzzling.

How did everyone fare?

Morning OYBBK. Worcestershire here. Well it has stopped raining <fanfare>. The wind in the night was very noisy but everything seems to be where it was.

beachyhead Sun 25-Nov-12 08:52:17

It's a beautiful sunny morning on the coast in West Sussex.... It was wild and scary last night, but very still and bright now.. Lovely

Morning smile

So looking at tonight and tomorrow:

Once again we have a low pressure traversing our shores, arriving in the sw this evening. Early met office warnings are out. Wind not a feature this time. Once again Wales and the SW will be hit the hardest I'm afraid.

Tuesday could still be showery, but not adding to the total burden of rain in the rivers really, then the risk of showers tends to be more towards he east and northeast which isn't so bad. Showers could become more wintry, especially over the NE by next weekend.

Don't forget to keep tuned into the EA if you are at risk of flooding. Also, many of you will know that the risking of flooding for some will linger after the rain has cleared as rivers continue to rise due to run off from hills.

Cup of tea time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now