Twitter is a-flutter with cold snap and snow talk

(25 Posts)
amillionyears Sat 17-Nov-12 18:10:20

grin

You are welcome!
I didnt really say anything though did I? grin

amillionyears Sat 17-Nov-12 18:01:07

Thanks for that. tbh, I go more by you than the tv weather forecasters.
I will try and reassure DH by what you said.
Glad to see you are feeling a little bit stronger.

Have to laugh at the express. Of course if they say this every winter, then one day they might get it right!

Ok, well looking at:

Temperatures - this met office probability thingy is saying that we have a 40-60% chance of it being colder than average BUT if you look at Europe it shows europe as being most likely to have a near average winter. So the cold wouldnt necc becoming from the east.

Precipitation - shows no weighting to any of the probability ranges - so it could be anything from more than normal to less than normal or somewhere in the middle!

The outer quintile categories are quite interesting.

GFS shows a fairly typical November this week, cooling down to widespread single digit temps for the last week in November. Right at the end of the month it hints at the atlantic winning again, so no prolonged blocking showing (which would lead to proper cold temps. However of course the battle between mild and cold can always be interesting along the leading edge in winter.

So to summarise. Nothing drastic showing up yet for the next couple of weeks, but if gfs were utterly accurate (which it wont be in this timescale) the end of the month could cause some brief fun. As for the rest of the winter, there arent really any strong signals as far as I can see for anything too exciting, but at the moment, the odds might be in favour of something cold, but who knows on the snow front!!!!!

Sparklingbrook Sat 17-Nov-12 14:12:59

There cannot be any snow. I have moved my DS to a different school and I have to drive him 6 miles through the countryside to the bus stop. His old school was half a mile away. When deciding to move him the snow was the only thing on the 'Cons' side of the list. <worries>

amillionyears Sat 17-Nov-12 14:12:45

Have a nice rest OYBBK.
Will read what you have to say tomorrow, if you are up to it.

GloriaSmud Sat 17-Nov-12 14:10:06

Another winter related article from the Express. Looks like they're on a roll now!

GloriaSmud Sat 17-Nov-12 07:23:03

Ah there you are, OYBBK ~ was going to pm you this morning as was beginning to get worried! Am smile at 'foggy brain' though!
(Are these the hospital tests you've been waiting a while for?)

The weather I mean, though my brain is too.
Will have a look later tomorrow.

Sorry all, got wiped out by hospital tests early this week and any energy has been spent on stuff that has to be done.
Bit foggy today.

GloriaSmud Thu 15-Nov-12 08:55:06

For those that love snow, some snowy scenes from the webcams of Iceland!

As for us, think there's still a cold snap coming towards the end of this month but it's more of a frosty nature rather than the snowy sort. Obviously hiding our snow gear is working for the moment! <Hides DDs wellies and ignores hole in my winter boots.>

MrsChristmasVamos Wed 14-Nov-12 20:42:43

Are we getting snow, and lots of it ? Great ! When ? grin

Me too Chickens <whistles>

Ignore me. I'm just lurking <hides sled behind back>

GloriaSmud Wed 14-Nov-12 20:21:18

There's a theory on Metmonkey that the buying of winter coats and boots has the power to put off a snowy winter. I myself have suggested to my parents that they could buy a sledge for DDs as a possible Christmas present and told them that's a sure fire way to stop any snow/cold weather arriving!

Hope OYBBK's OK ~ haven't 'seen' her about recently.

Me too. Where are you kitten? Here, kitten pshwshwshhh

soverylucky Wed 14-Nov-12 09:27:01

After last years predictions the only person I will take any notice of is OYBBK!

Harumph. Move it to Sussex and I'll be happy.

I finally have a winter coat (and it's bright red), so let it snow!

MegGriffin Tue 13-Nov-12 20:45:22

Ooh I love snow. Fingers crossed for a snowy winter.

BeatTheClock Tue 13-Nov-12 12:27:25

Oh well that's stopped me dithering about buying some snow boots then. Gawd I hate the cold sad

GloriaSmud Tue 13-Nov-12 12:23:50

Are yes, the Express are good at weather forecasting; snort at your leisure at this one from earlier this year!!!

Looking at some other weather websites, I think they're split on the winter we might have. I think some weather models are hinting at a cold snap at the end of November and some of the posters on the Met-monkey messageboard have taken this and run with it. There's a lot of talk of what the stratosphere is doing and whether it's cooling down/warming up as that could make our winter cold/warm. It's mentioned on there that the metoffice (I can't find the metoffice page atm) are forecasting for there to be below average temperatures and Netweather are saying this. So below average temps are what some are going for atm but whether that means actual snow remains to be seen!

LadyBeagle Tue 13-Nov-12 11:16:06

Oh Bugger, I bloody hope not sad.
I live in the Highlands, and though I quite like a bit of snow this would be too much.
<Weeps about my heating bills>

Also there are a few newspapers touting stories such as this beauty

What do you reckon?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now