Hurricane sandy

(599 Posts)
OhYouBigBadBeast Fri 26-Oct-12 22:09:18

Looking potentially very serious indeed for the eastern seaboard of the US, perhaps including NYC if some models are correct. The storm will probably be extra tropical but nevertheless if it interacts with a trough modelled off the east coast that could bring down arctic air then the result could be approaching catastrophic, with utterly torrential rain, severe blizzards, hurricane force winds and severe storm surges all being possible.

I think people will be getting very worried about this. Mon tues weds are the days to be watching. Lets hope the storm turns east away from the us coast.

still eeping a watchful eye still on Wednesdays storm, which could bring a small storm surge, heavy rain and gale force winds with it to the areas hit by Sandy. Snow possible inland. No doubt those over there will have a clearer forecast than that!

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 05-Nov-12 08:10:29

Glad you are ok blackcurrants

mathanxiety Mon 05-Nov-12 00:21:45

So glad to hear your good news Blackcurrants. I hope you'll have gas soon, especially if you're coming close to your due date. 6 days is a long time to be essentially camping.
DD1's bf's parents and both sets of GPs are in NJ, in Monmouth County; so far no really bad news from DD1 about them so I hope they are ok too.

skyebluesapphire Sun 04-Nov-12 23:48:39

excellent news blackcurrants. enjoy another day off work

Spower and heat restored at around 4pm today - after 6days in the cold and dark I could snog an electrician about now, and I think DH would be right behind me! Now all I need is petrol and we can return to normal. DH's work is closed tommorrow, mine is open but I can't get there as no fuel!

Oh well done helpyourself. Have a safe journey!

helpyourself Sun 04-Nov-12 17:35:22

Grr..
Really looked after although there's real disruption quite close. I think it'll be a while before I dare ask for family babysitting though.

helpyourself Sun 04-Nov-12 17:32:58

Finally leaving, just waiting airport transport. I'm going lalala I can't hear you about refunds. Might be baked beans for months when we get back.
Really can't complain though- we've been safe, warm and really l

helpyourself Sun 04-Nov-12 17:32:11

Finally leaving, just waiting airport transport. I'm going lalala I can't hear you about refunds. Might be baked beans for months when we get back.
Really can't com

TalkinPeace2 Sun 04-Nov-12 12:38:08

((Hairnet))
Thankyou for the offer. I am indeed in the UK. His complex is big and well organised and he'll be fine - in that stubborn way old men are.
Friends in New Canaan had their power back on last night.
You'll be able to get warm soon.

It sounds like, despite the early headlines, the real devastation has been in Staten Island.

MrsJasmin Big article in yesterday's Gruaniad about it - covering what you are and are not covered for ....

It has a pro forma letter that others in a similar situation may find useful too.

this looks like it applies as you are returning to an eu country. Looks pretty helpful.

I seem to vaguely remember that the airline should cover you, but of course they are going to fight it as its going to cost them hugely. I'll see if I can dig anything out.

MrsJamin Sun 04-Nov-12 10:03:54

Not all of it, badkitten, they are passing the buck to the airline under the EU legislation. We could easily just be caught in the middle with neither company paying out. I am just so glad that we weren't in a £300+ per night hotel - like some of the other brits who we met. Some of the hotels even put up the price every extra night they stayed- this should be illegal to people who are stranded! We paid £130ish a night as we were in a private apartment - so very lucky in that respect. If you count in having to buy an american SIM, food for 4 extra days, etc, it really mounts up.

MrsJ will your insurance company not cover it?

mathanxiety Sat 03-Nov-12 21:31:14

How hard nosed of them. This is a case where a call to a radio station or letter to your MP might be in order.

MrsJamin Sat 03-Nov-12 20:57:13

Mathanxiety- it's not been great but it's nothing compared to people who have had their property ruined or lost loved ones. BA are being royal bastards though, and are saying they are not covering our extra accommodation due to sandy. We are writing a stern letter otherwise we will be severely out of pocket and will be having times of severe austerity in the next month or two sad. It really does put you off travelling altogether.

Bit concerned about the wind aspect tbh.

From what I've read it does look quite likely that there will be a nor'easter coming in mid week the exact path isn't known. Doesn't look like snow for the NY / NJ areas but the wind and rain could cause additional issues.

Welcome back MrsJ smile

mathanxiety Sat 03-Nov-12 20:30:13

And how would they expect security and public order personnel to leave the search and aid missions to be present at the race?

mathanxiety Sat 03-Nov-12 20:27:51

Glad you are ok MrsJamin. You have had quite a time of it.

I have to say I do not know what goes through the minds of people who seriously expected they would be running in the NYC marathon. How could anyone have expected it to go ahead? I know the mayor was a bit ostrichlike about it, but even looking at news reports I would think runners themselves would have had second thoughts. Surely some of them would have been staying in hotels without power yet, and how did they expect to run on Staten Island, which was really socked?

TheCatInTheHairnet Sat 03-Nov-12 20:20:31

Yes, there is a nor'easter coming in.

Blackcurrants, we just got our power back so another offer for hot showers etc here.

MrsJamin Sat 03-Nov-12 20:16:15

We finally got home yesterday, 5 days after our original flight! So happy to have warmth, light and connectivity to the outside world! Still feeling bad for those who are still there in lower manhattan. It just felt very bleak, even the mood in midtown was subdued. I am glad they cancelled the marathon but they should have made the decision days ago- I feel sorry for all those who have already arrived in NYC only to be bitterly disappointed and out of pocket. Is it true, badkitten, that there is a storm due next week?

TheCatInTheHairnet Sat 03-Nov-12 18:58:06

TP2, are you not in NY yourself? Did I get that right. I'm in the Burbs, but if he needs anything, happy to help out. It will distract me from my own freezing, dark home!! wink

Crikey! It just shows the difficulty of the task doesn't it. I do not envy those people at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now