are we on for another really snowy winter then?

(299 Posts)

Bah humbug

1947 was terrible, 1948 (year my Mum was born) was also quite bad. I still have raspberries on my raspberry canes and my Hawthorne tree is covered in berries. I think it's going to be a long, hard winter sad

Absy Fri 12-Oct-12 15:13:11

I do think 1947 was very bad.

Well, hopefully I will be pregnant by winter, so that will help with the cold <-practical.

I am so not a winter person. Give me 30+ degrees and everyday sunshine and I'm a happy bunny. I particualrly love the evenings, when you can walk around without a cardigan or anything. My home town (Johannesburg) has the PERFECT weather. True story

LadyFlumpalot Fri 12-Oct-12 15:13:48

Oh I love snow! Part of my grand master plan in choosing the house I live in, was that it is remote enough so I can't get to work if it snows hard enough! grin

We are NOT going to run out of gas this year, as we almost did last year

1947 was v cold at the beginning of the year. My dad was born in the Feb and my grandad couldn't get through the snow to meet him. My other grandma was walking along hedge tops to get to work (or so family legend declares)

DolomitesDonkey Fri 12-Oct-12 15:15:22

Yes, I think we're on for a bad one. Last year was so mild we didn't even buy snow tyres despite driving to Germany daily where they're mandatory... We just didn't need to.

EldritchCleavage Fri 12-Oct-12 15:15:44

Oh no! No central heating at work (period building). I'm going to need a lap blanket and some sheepskin boots...

Bunbaker Fri 12-Oct-12 15:16:01

"Bet more posters like the winter than don't."

I hate winter. I hate the long dark nights and short days with low light levels. We live on a hill so if it snows using the car will be a problem. If the buses stop running DD will miss school and I won't be able to get to work.

As a child I loved snow, but we lived in a town and it was relatively flat where we lived, but now I am an adult living in a village and heavy snow is bad news for us.

Yes. The hedgetops tale was a favourite of my grandads. It must have been 1947 he was talking about.

DolomitesDonkey Fri 12-Oct-12 15:16:05

Ps I gave birth this year in a blizzard... As I had my section I watched the snow fall which was rather lovely.

ImPeppaPigOink Fri 12-Oct-12 15:16:06

The snow is not allowed to come until March or it has to be melted by February as I can't give birth with no Midwifes.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Fri 12-Oct-12 15:16:45

I'm saying not.

And I know absolutely everything grin

akaemmafrost Fri 12-Oct-12 15:18:17

Best winter ever was 2008/09. I live in London and it came to a complete standstill for two days in February. No buses, no vehicles, nothing it was brilliant, a big urban snowy landscape. Wish that would happen again.

LadyFlumpalot Fri 12-Oct-12 15:20:35

I had a home birth Xmas 2010 and made the midwives come out at 3:30am at -11 and down country roads piled high with ice and snow. They managed it fine! They did tell me the week before, however, that they had previously had to get the nice army people from Blandford to come over the hills in all terrain vehicles to get someone to hospital in the snow. Haven't yet worked out if they were joking...

I love the snow smile I didn't enjoy walking to work in it, when I was pregnant with DS1, I got made redundant last month so I will be able to make the most of the snow with the DC this year smile fingers crossed there's lots smile

BeyondLimitsOfTheLivingDead Fri 12-Oct-12 15:21:42

Oh god, is it time for a prepsring for winter thread already?!

I have a new coat and boots. We'll have a heatwave...

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Fri 12-Oct-12 15:23:20

The only thing stopping me from actually forking out for a North Face parka, apart from the cost obviously, is the certain knowledge that if I do buy the wretched thing, we will have the warmest winter since records began.

Weirdandwonderful Fri 12-Oct-12 15:25:47

I have a slanket and yaktrax grin <prepared>
And a job that send people to get you if you can't get to work sad

We will buy chains. Then winter will be mild. You can thank me later. I think last winter was mild because we finally got round to getting a shovel

2010 was a cracker, icicles everywhere and bloody freezing but gorgeous.

We live on a bus route so the roads were always gritted so we were lucky but the pavements were a death trap!

plantsitter Fri 12-Oct-12 15:27:06

akaemmafrost I remember that winter well! We were snowed in on DD's due date and I was shitting it!

I had dd in Sept 2009. Her first ever laugh was when her big brother started playing with the huge (inches thick) icicles that were outside his window - he threw them in the baby bath to watch them shatter and she was entranced.

HanSolo Fri 12-Oct-12 15:28:35

my father skated over the Thames in the late 40s! Must have been coooooold!

Annunziata Fri 12-Oct-12 15:28:38

Nooo I hate the snow.

The early 90s had a couple of terrible winters too, I remember the DC being tiny and we were absolutely snowed in.

This thread reminds me why I'd like a woodburner, romantic and cheaper than bloody gas. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now