are we on for another really snowy winter then?

(299 Posts)

Bah humbug

There are already loads of red berries on some of our trees and bushes in the back garden.

I am told that this is a sign of an impending long hard Winter. hmm.

Elsqueak Fri 12-Oct-12 14:59:48

Yes, tonnes of berries here too, almost no foliage there's so many. Does it really mean bad winter?...gawd I hate winter...sad

Faverolles Fri 12-Oct-12 15:00:24

BIL (very knowledgable weathery person) reckons this year could be as bad as 1947.

He is known for predicting dooooom though.

Bah. Humbug. Last winter was Sooo lovely, like the winters of my childhood, grey and drizzly...
<reminisces>

I wasn't around in 1947, was that the year the temp never dropped below 5 degrees and the sun shone every day?

MrsVamoOOOOOs Fri 12-Oct-12 15:02:12

I hope so. I love the snow, and the cold. Much prefer winter to summer.

I have been stockpiling suitable footwear so I NEED the weather to wear them. blush

straighttohellymelly Fri 12-Oct-12 15:02:49

1947 was the year it was frozen for months on end. 1962-3 was bad too. I wasn't around either btw.

DraggleTailedWench Fri 12-Oct-12 15:03:33

Sorry to be different here but I love the snow! Hope it is snowy!

[throws snowball at OP and jumps quickly behind sofa]

Absy Fri 12-Oct-12 15:04:07

I remember reading about a squillion articles last year that because of the extra berries etc etc it was going to be super cold.

It wasn't.

I will probably still need to buy a coat though.

SheelaNeGig Fri 12-Oct-12 15:04:57

1947 was the freak heatwave winter. Was 27° between november and march.

Ignoring Mrsv
(though I don't like full on summer either - I much prefer spring and autumn and my favourite day would be 16 degrees, warm but wih plenty of shade)
We haven't hd autumn this year. October 1st came round and all of a sudden it was defrost your car weather - that could go on to march.

Ooh sheela that sounds a bit too hooot
<whines>

I think I may invest in some of those slankets if we really are in for another hard one. With the price of gas and electricity going up it's going to be a bloody economical nightmare for a lot of us trying to stay warm!

www.gizoo.co.uk/Images/Products/Slanket/hero.jpg?v=201209

straighttohellymelly Fri 12-Oct-12 15:06:27

Oh- so was 1948 the very cold one then?

ZombTEE Fri 12-Oct-12 15:06:40

Please not too much ice! We have a long windy hilly trip on foot to preschool!

MrsVamoOOOOOs Fri 12-Oct-12 15:06:59

You ignore me, I don't care.

Bet more posters like the winter than don't.

grin

SheelaNeGig Fri 12-Oct-12 15:07:33

And theres hardly any berries here.

Last year my garden was over run with berries but we had pitifully little snow (I was actually quite hacked that it was tepid at Christmas. I wanted snow)

And the years we did have snow, I had an automatic car (which are a bugger on ice). Last year I got one with gears and everything wink

My Grandad used to talk about a winter where the snow was up to the top of the windows.

I hope it wasnt 1974 shock

Though 1965 sounds familiar. Was 1965 bad?

Pascha Fri 12-Oct-12 15:09:34

Nononono i refuse to give birth in the snow with no midwives. The snow can arrive in february if it likes.

I remember the worst winter for snowfall round here was in my last year in Secondary 1983/84 maybe iirc.

Snow up to our waists grin and having to leave school early so the out of town kids could get home to their village!

BigWitchLegsInWailyTights Fri 12-Oct-12 15:10:09

Oh I LOVE snow and bad weather! And I'm going to bloody Oz for 5 weeks and I bet I miss it all! I don't like the heat....I just don't.

Pascha you may have to keep your legs crossed until next May

Happybunny12 Fri 12-Oct-12 15:11:14

Hmm, i am on mat leave and live in a hilly village. Do I want lots of snow or not? Can't decide. Although i suppose that so long as the sainsburys van can get through and the power stays on (no telly, no wifi, no mumsnet eek) then all will be well. Bring on the snow!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now