Can I give my baby Weetabix?

(24 Posts)
London7 Sun 15-Feb-09 20:21:44

Hi
I've bought organic Weetabix for my 9-month old but it has a little bit of salt in it - couldn't find anything without salt. Is it safe to give it to her even though they say babies should not have any salt until they are at least 1 year old?

spicemonster Sun 15-Feb-09 20:25:26

Yes, that's fine. The guidelines mean you shouldn't add salt to her food. You should also avoid last quantities of salty food but a lot of manufactured stuff with wheat in it (bread for example) has salt in it.

spicemonster Sun 15-Feb-09 20:25:49

Obviously when I said 'last' I meant 'large'!

NorbertDentressangle Sun 15-Feb-09 20:29:42

Weetabix is fine but a word of warning.....if it is allowed to dry out on any surface (table, high chair, wall, floor, hair etc) you will need a hammer and chisel to remove it wink

frasersmummy Sun 15-Feb-09 20:32:32

you will know how much good the weetabix is doing by how full your dd nappies are!! grin

my ds loved it at 6 months and is still addicted at going on 4 years !!

supergluebum Wed 18-Feb-09 11:22:15

Just a note on organic weetabix, it's not a fortified cereal. Normal weetabix is fortified with vitamins and minerals. Not a problem in a varied diet, but once your baby stops formula or breast milk and moves to cows milk you loose a lot of easy vitamins.

HTH

HensMum Wed 18-Feb-09 11:28:53

Don't forget about Ready Brek! It has no sugar or salt added and is just as easy to prepare as Weetabix.
Not that there's anything wrong with Weetabix (apart from the setting like cement issue) but it's nice to have some variety.

It's not no salt - we all need some salt - just not excessive quantities of salt.

georgimama Wed 18-Feb-09 11:35:38

I recommend proper porridge (not baby stuff) - Quaker Oats. DS loves it. A cup of oats and 2 cups of milk in a microwaveable bowl, ping for 2 mins. DS will eat it unsweetened but I do put a tiny bit of honey in as he does prefer it.

Yum.

Wigglesworth Wed 18-Feb-09 11:35:50

Weetabix is fine, the guidelines mean don't add salt to babies food, eg. put salt into vegetable cooking water and don't give foods with high salt levels like salty stock cubes etc.

Wigglesworth Wed 18-Feb-09 11:38:13

Although I don't think you should give honey to babies under 12 months due to spores or something that can cause food poisioning, is that right?

supergluebum Wed 18-Feb-09 11:44:51

Wiggles, you're right, honey can have botulism (sp) I think. Golden syrup is yum on porridge grin, that's what we have! Or jam blush
Although both of mine will eat it plain!

DanJARMouse Wed 18-Feb-09 11:48:32

Weetabix is fine.

Just be wary if baby starts to have a sore bum - DS can only tolerate a small amount without having upset tummy and nappy rash, but he is an exception I think as both the girls had weetabix from 6mnths with no issues.

georgimama Wed 18-Feb-09 11:55:02

Sorry, didn't notice OP's child was 9 months. I am aware current advice is honey is for over ones only.

DS had a mite of sugar or golden syrup at that age (he's nearly 2 now). Still does sometimes but I have got it into my head that honey is "healthier".

christiana Wed 18-Feb-09 11:56:30

Message withdrawn

sweetkitty Wed 18-Feb-09 12:00:41

Ready Brek is great for babies, it has no sugar or salt and is only rolled oats with vitamins added. Also agree plain porridge oats much better than baby cereal

Much cheaper and better IMO thatn some of the baby cereals out there.

Weetabix is also fine, completely agree with the cement thing and the Weetabix nappies be warned.

There is a fair bit of salt in bread, butter and cheese and these are given to babies too, toast and butter probably has more salt than Weetabix.

christiana Wed 18-Feb-09 12:18:33

Message withdrawn

Christiana - that story is 10 years old! As I recall the manufacturers of ready brek changed their recipe in resonse and in any case the poor parents in atht article weren't feeding a 9 month old exclusively on Ready Brek - they were feeding a 3 month old on a variety of adult food including ready brek.

2pt4kids Wed 18-Feb-09 12:30:54

Oatibix is good too. My baby prefers the texture of it as it is more stodgy and he can help to feed himself

HensMum Wed 18-Feb-09 12:32:26

Ready Brek now has no salt. Neither does Tescos own brand version which is what we use.

ShowOfHands Wed 18-Feb-09 12:33:04

Poor old Ready Brek manufacturers have really been tarnished by that story. It wasn't the Ready Brek, it was the other adult foods. Ready Brek is fine as others have said.

christiana Wed 18-Feb-09 12:40:14

Message withdrawn

Don't worry Christiana - it is better to post and be corrected than not post and have a child suffer as a result. I'm sorry if I was a bit fierce!

weneedlove Mon 24-Mar-14 11:31:55

My baby is 8months and would appreciate your advice on food to introduce her to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now