Baby led weaning and finger foods with teeth?!!

(6 Posts)
soapycomb Mon 19-Sep-16 10:34:47

Hi there I was wondering if anyone had any advice on giving finger foods when my 7mo DS has 8 fully erupted front teeth? He much prefers finger food to purees but tends to bite off a chunk immediately and proceed to try and choke himself and vomit or he starts crying!! I'm so paranoid about choking I've started to avoid finger foods but I don't know if it's OK to keep trying and what with when he's already mastered biting so well or should I stick to purees so I can control the size of lumps?! Sorry if this is a silly question!!! Tia X X X X

Tumtitum Mon 19-Sep-16 17:35:25

Wow that's a lot of teeth! grin my 7mo only has two teeth but still tries to bite massive chunks off things! She still gags quite a lot but is getting better, although she still tries to put too much in her mouth!! If I were you I would persevere but give foods that it would be very hard for him to choke on, eg avocado, banana etc.

Tumtitum Mon 19-Sep-16 17:36:16

Wow that's a lot of teeth! grin my 7mo only has two teeth but still tries to bite massive chunks off things! She still gags quite a lot but is getting better, although she still tries to put too much in her mouth!! If I were you I would persevere but give foods that it would be very hard for him to choke on, eg avocado, banana etc.

DoodleCat Mon 19-Sep-16 17:42:59

Roast veg so it's soft. Cooked meat is often okay too. Cucumber, mine eats the soft bit then, if she can be bothered, the rest. Falafel, meat balls, frittas, stodgy scrambled egg, cut tomatoes or soft fruit, hash brown type things, fried egg, sausages (can be homemade meatballs but longer!), sweetcorn on the cob (or off), green beans, baked beans....

There are lots of finger foods that you can use of you're worried. :-)

Good luck!

DoodleCat Mon 19-Sep-16 17:44:02

Oh and small pasta pieces with or without sauce.

soapycomb Tue 20-Sep-16 20:49:15

Oh amazing thank you so much for the help guys, knew I could count on the lovely MNers!!!! star

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now