BLW - advice please

(3 Posts)
user1471018458 Fri 12-Aug-16 17:28:53

My DD is nearly 9 months and had been going really well with weaning. I was giving her porridge type things for breakfast, a puree type thing for dinner and finger foods for lunch. Lots of variety of fruits, vegetables, carbs, meat and dairy. I'm good on what to give as I did BLW with my son who is now 3. A month ago she got hand, foot and mouth disease and now despite recovery she isn't keen on eating. She has completely refused to be spoon fed, and won't self feed with a spoon either. She won't even put it in her mouth empty without screaming. So I went for BLW completely and have finger foods for all three meals. This stopped the screaming but she isn't really eating either. She has the ability as she was doing it before the illness at lunchtime. She hasn't really increased milk intake at all so just less calories overall. I'm trying not to make a big deal of it so there is no battle. I just offer her food and then take it away later when she doesn't want it. She won't even really play with it anymore. Any ideas? Anyone with a similar experience? Do I just keep trying? And in the meantime should I try to force the milk more? I don't really want to go back to feeding at night as its a relief to sleep well but I have considered it as maybe if she is half asleep she might take more? If food intake decreases do I need to try to increase milk again or shall I just go with her?? Thanks all xx

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 13-Aug-16 11:09:16

Have you tried her with a dose of ibruprofen about half an hour before her meal? It could be that she is teething or has ear ache.

Unless she's waking you for food, I'd leave her at night. If you are bfing you could offer more feeds. If you are ff she should be taking a minimum of 20floz a day until she's one, as long as she's getting that, she'll be fine smile

bigmamapeach Sat 13-Aug-16 15:36:58

It took my little one a loooong time to get over hfm and the impact on eating. She got sores in her mouth so I think that explains it. She dipped below her centile, even dropped a little weight. (Later scorched up again). I talked to Hv who advised lots of "good fats".... Cheese, cream, peanut butter, eggs (omelette strips), mascarpone sandwiches(!), anything soft and comfortable/creamy in the mouth and high fat. That's not all blw but can do bits of it blw-ish. Just anything she would accept eating that was quite calorie and protein dense. Pasta in creamy sauce. Etc....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now