Doesn't like jars?!

(10 Posts)
Stargirl82 Sun 31-Jul-16 18:14:39

Someone please give me an hand!! We have been weaning little man for over a month now. Started off on fruit and/or veg pouches. Loved them!!! Brilliant start. Thought about moving on to adding meat on stage 2 food but it is all spat out. Saw some jars on offer stage 1 all veg but little man will not eat them. So why will he eat veg from a pouch but not from a jar? I have watered the jars down so they are smoother. But still he spits out or blows raspberries with every mouthful if it's from a jar?! See attached picture of end result!! He has tried scotch pancakes, yogurts and biscotti and eats these with ease! Any advice please? Have only used shop bought as I'm already back at work for ease and no matter how hard I try I cannot seem to make my veg or fruit smooth enough!!

Nicnak2223 Sun 31-Jul-16 18:17:39

Maybe it's because they taste nothing like food. I tried some of my ds's yesterday and vegetable noodles and sweet and sour chicken and rice both tasted the same. Maybe try a different brand.

FiveFullFathoms Sun 31-Jul-16 18:20:01

I'd give him a try with finger food. If he's 7 months or so he can basically have what you have (providing it's not too salty). Much less faff than making your own and cheaper than jars!

Dutchcourage Sun 31-Jul-16 18:20:40

I dont blame him it's rank!! 😷😷

Batch cook and freeze in little portions. Cheaper and you know what's in them.

Gracey79 Sun 31-Jul-16 18:21:04

I used to thin my purées with breastmilk or water if you add enough liquid when you blend they will go as thin as you like

RNBrie Sun 31-Jul-16 18:23:51

Don't water them down... They're barely food as it is. If he's happy eating solid food like pancakes then the consistency probably isn't the issue. They are really revolting (have you tried one??)

Can you try baby led weaning? At his age (I'm guessing 7 or 8 months?) food is mostly about exploring tastes and textures, the majority of his calories still come from milk.

What do you have for dinner? I just made extra and gave it to the baby the next day so it took no extra time to prepare.

BikeRunSki Sun 31-Jul-16 18:25:58

Have tried the jars? They are disgusting!

At 7 months, just give him finger foods. If you really want to give him purées, then at least make them at home. Boil or bake then blend, and push through a sieve. Make a big batch and freeze them in ice cube trays. But at 7 months he should be able to cope with small lumps.

BluePitchFork Sun 31-Jul-16 18:26:41

they are not very good nutritionally, much too lean (not enough fat/oil).
just give dc whatever you are having, mashed with a fork or in finger sized batons.
good luck!

pouches always make me think of cat food

honeysucklejasmine Sun 31-Jul-16 18:29:11

How old is he? Don't blame him really, they look rank! Just chuck him some finger food. Like the veg that you are having with your dinner.

Stargirl82 Sun 31-Jul-16 18:38:10

Thank you all. He's 6 months. He seems to really enjoy the veg pouches so will keep them for days when he can't have our stuff. Will try and do a big batch of purees too. I'm just worried he won't get enough? What if he gags and won't put any more in his mouth? Maybe I'm a little worried as ds1 had so many allergies we were so restricted on what we could give him so he ate what was given! Probably why he's such a fussy sod now! Lol. You are right they are rank I just tried cheesy spinach and potato.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now