Too little milk?

(6 Posts)
JedBartlet Mon 20-Jun-16 14:18:44

Sorry in advance if this sort of thing has been asked a thousand times.
DS is nearly 7 months. He started properly weaning a week before 6m (he just had a few tastes of things the week before that).
He has always been ebf and a good eater. He has taken to food well and eats two meals a day now with some snacks in between.
Before starting weaning he was on 5 feeds a day (he sleeps through) which dropped to 4, and in the last few days he has dropped to 3. So he has bf at 7am, breakfast at 10.30am, bf at 1, dinner at 4, bf at 7pm, sleep. I'm worried it's too soon for him to have dropped down to so few feeds but he doesn't seem hungry and I don't know where else to cram a feed in!
Do you think this is ok?

KatyN Tue 21-Jun-16 08:23:22

My son dropped a lot of his milk feeds when he started weaning. We were recommended to ensur there was a lot of milk in his meals. Milky mash, yoghurt, milk jelly etc. I was quite aware of his calcium intake but just followed his lead.

sophiaslullaby Tue 21-Jun-16 14:41:02

Yep, I think that's fine based on exactly same experience.

Just as KatyN said - so long as your DS Is getting the calcium and nutrients from his food then don't worry. I ebf my 7month DS, inclusive of 3 meals in the day I give a breastfeed at 6.30am and 4pm and then before bedtime. I just need to drop the 4pm feed as going back to work in 5 weeks and I haven't expressed or introduced a bottle.

I asked HV the other week if I need to give formula milk and she said so long as he's getting his nutrients (DS takes a daily vitamin drop too), still has his morning and evening feed and takes cheese, milk in cereal, yoghurt then that's fine. You're weaning him, so replacing the food he was getting from you with solid food.
I will check his weight too to be sure.

JedBartlet Sat 25-Jun-16 11:20:00

Thanks both. Will aim to up his calcium intake but that's reassuring to hear.

NickyEds Fri 01-Jul-16 21:03:16

My dd weaned very quickly too, she started just having shorter and shorter feeds (and she was already a very efficient feeder!) until she dropped milk in the day altogether by 9 months. The hv said to introduce a dream feed(she was literally having one milk feed avday) and up her calcium rich foods. I think it just felt odd because ds was still having loads of milk at that age and you always hear the whole 'food is for fun till they're one' thing. Turns out for some babies food is great, even before one!

sophiaslullaby Fri 01-Jul-16 21:31:48

Hmm, I initially subscribed to that adage about 'food before one is just for fun' but think I did so to make me feel better when he wasn't eating as well as I wanted. I'm FTM though so everything is new to me - when teething my DS doesn't eat much and has actually taken step back and wants purees rather than lumps (sore gums), but would rather do this than give in and breastfeed as that wouldn't be doing him any favours. I have 4 weeks until back at work so, need ot wean off the daytime feeds.

During mid-morning and mid-afternoon I give DS a yoghurt (he likes plain natural yoghurt, pulls funniest faces but begs for more...) or pile of grated cheese is a MASSIVE hit - helps him with the pincer grip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now