Eats at child minder, nothing at home.

(5 Posts)
hazfaz Wed 01-Jun-16 20:15:06

We're at our wits end with our daughter. She's 12 months olds. She used to eat everything we put in front of her. For the last 2 weeks she'll have nothing at home except milk. When she goes to child minder she'll have fish pie, lasagne, anything she puts in front of her. We've even swapped food. She'll eat our food at the child minder. She won't eat the child minder's food at home. It's making us both miserable. Can anyone suggest anything?

CornishYarg Thu 02-Jun-16 23:34:52

Does the childminder react differently to you if she doesn't want to eat? Eg do you try to persuade her to eat whereas the childminder doesn't react to it? Do you offer alternatives if she doesn't eat (which she may well have got wise to) while childminder doesn't? Or it could just be the positive influence of sitting with other children who are eating the meal.

MilkRunningOutAgain Fri 03-Jun-16 20:22:49

My DS's best nursery friend did this, ate well at nursery ( & our house ) but very poorly at home. It gradually got better as he got older. I think it is the influence of being with other kids who are eating. He was the eldest, so it was usually just him and his mum at home eating, and perhaps it's hard to keep relaxed after a few days when very little eating has happened. OP is your DD drinking loads of milk and filling herself on that?

Datingbarb Fri 03-Jun-16 20:33:56

I think it's just a faze my dd now 20 months is exactly the same sometimes, tonight she went to bed without any dinner she had lunch at childminder, milk at 3pm then I picked her up and all she has had is 1 jaffacake snd s bedtime milk

I remember my. 3 older ones doing it to.

Think you should just ignore it, they really do eat when they are hungry, she will soon start eating again

CityDweller Fri 03-Jun-16 20:38:52

How often is she at the childminder? If it's 5-days-a-week then at least you know she's eating well on those days... If it's only 2 days a week then I too would worry about her only having milk and nothing else for the other 5 days...

But, generally, with eating/ fussiness the best thing is to try not to react or worry too much. Our DD (3 yo) is really picky, always has been. Cajoling, bribing, encouraging, or even paying any attention to her eating habits has not made the blindest bit of difference. She often goes to bed without having eaten any dinner, but still sleeps 13 hrs at night, so she clearly just isn't that hungry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now