change bottles?

(7 Posts)
Mazzimaz2709 Sat 28-May-16 23:26:08

Hello, my now 9 month old has had a rough time with wind through the night since we started weaning at 6 months. It is quite sporadic and we haven't been able to link a particularly bad night with a particular food. She is currently wheat and dairy free (due to previous investigations when I was BFing) and has been on neocate formula since she was 4 months old. She has experienced chronic wind since starting the neocate really, but again it is sporadic.

After having another night of bouncing and patting her back until she farts/burps, then repeating an hour or so later, I got to thinking - maybe a change in bottles might help? I have heard so much about dr Browns helping this kind of thing I just wonder if at 10 months it might be tricky to switch Bottles? I currently use Tommy tippee anti colic but they often cave in / collapse which makes me think this might be causing the problem??

Just wondering if anyone has attempted to change bottle type at this age? And any dr Browns fans out there?

BunloafAndCrumpets Sat 28-May-16 23:31:20

I'm sorry, I've no experience of Dr Browns bottles but just wanted to pop on and say that the tommee tippee ones collapse when the vent hole isn't open. You just need to roll the vent between your fingers and it should open up. It does say to do this in the instructions, but in v small print, took me a while to realise. Maybe this will help. Good luck and hope your little one is better soon.

VocationalGoat Sat 28-May-16 23:36:06

I have tried Dr. Brown's with DC3 but found that if I forgot to put in one of the little bits, it would leak all over the place (can't exactly remember what it looked like. It's a bit of a blur)... Not fun when you're doing a 3am feed. This happened to me several times. So I went back to my tried and true favourite bottles: Nuk.
I have used Nuk bottles for my 3 colicky kids.
Dr. Brown's bottles were definitely very good, but a little bit fussy.

Mazzimaz2709 Sun 29-May-16 00:00:23

Um... Lightbulb moment!! Thank you bunloafandcrumpets!! Never knew this and obvs never even read the instructions... Will definitely give this a try first as they were not cheap and I have 8 of them!

Mazzimaz2709 Sun 29-May-16 00:03:53

Thanks vocationalgoat - reviews are great for nuk so might even try one if the vent opening on my TT doesn't make a difference. I am trying to cut out our nighttime feed having previously brought it back in when LO was poorly and it really helped to settle her. Now we are struggling to drop it again when she naturally dropped it herself first time round!!! So yes, making the 3am feed more fussy would not be fun!

BumWad Sun 29-May-16 09:56:17

I found Mam bottles great but then again I didn't use any others!
Do you use Infacol? I found that great for bringing up burps and also gripe water in the bottle with the milk

HandbagFan Tue 31-May-16 20:05:48

We have the same problem with TT bottles, even when opening the valve manually and going up teat level.

We have Dr Browns bottles too and have never had a leak, even at 3am, and they have one more piece than the anti colic TT bottles so no more fuss.

We like the Dr Brown bottles the most though as the teat never collapses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now