Too much food?

(8 Posts)
ClemFandango Thu 12-May-16 14:55:21

Hi, DS2 turned 6 months last week. He is bf but has 2 bottles of 100ml formula a day due to slow weight gain. Did blw with DS1 (ff) so just dived right in and offered small amounts of foods to DS2 at most meals. His nappies immediately showed signs of him eating - smelly and changing colour and consistency and this week my period is back :-( Should I cut back on the solids? Having read up on it a bit I am worried we are going too fast, on the other hand some reduction in the all night boobathon would be welcome!

Pinkheart5915 Thu 12-May-16 15:00:31

I breast feed as well and Once my ds turned 6 months started weaning he didn't want the purée offered after 2-3 days he had proper food.
Now at 8 months he eats everything sometimes I wonder wear the amounts go

ClemFandango Thu 12-May-16 15:23:30

Ok, cheers for reply. I suppose I just need to go with the flow. Just worried about him reducing milk too much too quick.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 12-May-16 21:17:20

Think the current advice is to offer food roughly an hour after the milk feed. If you do that, they shouldn't drop the milk too quickly [smle]

eatsleephockeyrepeat Fri 13-May-16 12:08:02

Hi Clem, I had exactly the same as you as must have ovulated the day my bf DS's lips touched food!

He also took to solids really well and by 7 months (when he started nursery) he'd dropped all his daytime feeds; of course the night wasn't much changed. Hasn't done him any harm - he has vitamin drops as recommended and having been on the 91st percentile for weight he's now closer to the 98th at 11 months (and has thankfully stopped the night feeding!).

I wouldn't cut the solids myself. These babies are clever things, they know what they're doing. Some are milk fiends and go slow and others love the challenge of toast with no teeth grin

For what it's worth we're under dietician care for DS's allergies and she more than approves of his diet. in fact I asked her how much solid food a baby should have and she said "as much as they will eat!"

ClemFandango Fri 13-May-16 19:30:12

Oh thank you! That 's really reassuring. I do offer food after bf, tho not usually an hour later. Struggle to fit everything in tbh ! I will bear this in mind and try to space things out a bit . Trouble is I have myself and ds1 to feed and if ds2 sees us eating he screams for his share!

babypeach Mon 16-May-16 15:47:30

Clem I think my ds is the same! We've been doing blw for 3 weeks now and he loves food! Its fine if its something he can't really eat as such but if he can (anything soft like roast veg,potato etc) he would keep going! I've held off giving him much of those things to avoid filling him up and keep up milk feeds but I always feel mean.
Having read your post and eatsleeps reply I think I might let him go for it a bit more! It's a struggle getting him to bf so if he could get a bit more from food that would be great!

Can I ask do either of you offer milk in a cup with food?

eatsleephockeyrepeat Mon 16-May-16 16:05:03

I offer water in a straw cup baby but that's his only drink option smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now