Feeding 1 year old, 2 questions.

(10 Posts)
BendydickCuminsnatch Sun 08-May-16 20:02:28

DS will be 1 this month and I have been musing on 2 questions today:

1 it feels like he is ALWAYS eating, and I don't know if this looks normal? I have issues with overeating and do not want to pass them on. I'm always conscious of giving him a snack if he's whingey or whatever, but it's hard to tell if he's whingey BECAUSE he's hungry or if he stops whinging because the food is a distraction? Anyway this was today:

5:15am bottle 8oz, half formula half cows milk.
6am breakfast: 2x weetabix and an Ella's Kitchen yoghurt pouch (that is a lot for him but he went to bed with no dinner last night because he was absolutely beside himself with tiredness and in a total state)
Nap 8:30-11
11:15 water, 2 rice cakes, raisins
Car journey 12:00, he had his sandwich from his packed lunch (1 slice bread with cheese)
Birthday party 1pm : rest of lunch - Organix flapjack, 4x organix carrot puffs, strawberries, blueberries, picked at some of his friend's pasta and peas
5:30 : dinner - half a chicken breast, small jacket potato, broccoli, apple
6pm : bottle, 8oz, half formula half cows milk.

I guess that's not so typical due to bday party, but usually he'd just have lunch at about 12 and another nap maybe 2-3:30. So not too different on the food front.

So does that look like a lot of food? Last night was literally the first time in his whole life he's ever rejected food, he will eat whatever is in front of him so it's hard to tell when he's full.

2. A much simpler question grin : Is there a reason I shouldn't give him seeded bread? I usually only buy wholemeal or granary, as that's what I have, but 'kids sandwiches' are always on white bread (don't mind about that, I love a white sarnie personally!). The seeds are too small to be a choking hazard I'd imagine?!? Should I be buying white bread specially? confused bday party just made me realise that kid's sandwiches are always on white bread!

Thanks!

MunchCrunch01 Sun 08-May-16 20:06:28

I have always given both dds seeded, they're 5 and 19 mos, both huge eaters as toddlers (this menu doesn't sound at all worrying to me), dd1's appetite scaled back dramatically when she got to about 3 1/2 - I worried for years as I'm slightly overweight but she's a string bean now. I think it's fine, don't worry is my opinion

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 09-May-16 06:11:43

Oh good!! Thanks Munch smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 09-May-16 08:08:58

White bread is recommended for under 2s as its more calorie dense.

NickyEds Mon 09-May-16 09:58:09

It doesn't sound like too much food really. My 10 month old probably eats a similar, if not more. We are also wondering if she will ever be full! Ds is 2.5 years and is the same.

I just give them whatever bread we have blush, so sometimes white, sometimes granary or seeded.

dementedpixie Mon 09-May-16 10:05:59

You could go for a compromise and use 50/50 or best of both type bread. Doesn't sound like too much food.

MunchCrunch01 Mon 09-May-16 10:07:08

a lot of the seeded ones are white and not wholemeal - I didn't know that, mine have always eaten seeded wholemeal bread.

yummymummycleo Mon 09-May-16 10:32:41

I am no expert but that does sound like a lot. My dd is 14 months and has 7 ish milk, 8 ish b fast, 10 ish snack, 12 ish lunch, 3.30 ish snack, 5-6 ish dinner, 6.45 ish milk. Quite spread out though. Sounds like your meals are quite close together. I too have fallen in the trap of feeding dd when she moans as she seems to be doing it lots and it stops her. You don't always have to give her pudding.

I think it's a judgement call though. Does she look healthy and the right size? I defo over fed ds and he was very chubby until he walked. Looking back at the photos I don't know how I didn't notice. I haven't done that with dd.

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 09-May-16 21:13:54

Oh fab, more replies, thanks all.

He is a big but slim boy, if that makes sense. No fat rolls on limbs, for example. 91st centile for height and weight though, which I am pleased about. He used to be 75th for height and 2nd for weight... That was NOT ok and very sad - bloody severe, undiagnosed tongue tie for 8 weeks! But he's finally back in proportion smile

BonerSibary Mon 09-May-16 21:37:50

Under 5s aren't supposed to have a lot of wholegrain. It can be too much for their stomachs and also fill them up making it harder for them to manage more calorie and nutrient dense foods. I've always been ok with a bit of wholemeal, perhaps a slice a day max and usually closer to half, but steered clear of brown rice and pasta when mine have been small. If they were eating more bread I'd have been stricter about white.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now