How old was your babies when you weaned them ?

(12 Posts)
Tonideanna123 Thu 28-Apr-16 08:39:58

Hello everyone,

I have a 7 week old baby boy who is absolutely amazing and I am so in love with him. His on 6 ounces a bottle and has about 5 or 6 bottles a day, about every 4 hours during day and then at night his going about 6 hours. I was just wondering what age your babies was when you started weaning them like on baby porridge ?
As my little boy drinks his 6 ounces so fast and then sometimes is still sucking his fists , but I think his still to young to have any food yet ?

Thankyou smile xxx

welshweasel Thu 28-Apr-16 08:42:46

It's not recommended you wean until 6 months. They don't need anything other than milk until then. That said, some people do choose to wean a bit earlier, but I don't know anyone who's done it before 5 months. Have you tried feeding your little one more often. My son was feeding every 2 hours or so during the day at that age and every 3 hours at night. 6 hours is an awfully long time to go without milk for a baby that young

5minutestobed Thu 28-Apr-16 08:45:33

We weaned at 7 months. I wouldn't wean before 6 months at the the earliest.
I would agree with the above poster, my DS was feeding every two hours at that age and having 8/9 bottles in total for a day. They don't need anything other than milk at that age.

TitusAndromedon Thu 28-Apr-16 08:45:51

His eating habits sound perfectly normal to me and actually really good for such a small baby. The fist sucking is likely to be more about exploration at the moment. Mine are older, but it's rare that I can get them to take their fists out of their mouths.

I don't intend to wean my twins until they are six months, which follows the current guidelines. At the very least, you absolutely shouldn't offer anything other than milk until 17 weeks. Remember, milk will have far more calories than any solids they ingest.

For what it's worth, my babies are five and a half months and actually have less milk now than they did at seven weeks. They were going through a real growth spurt then.

Tonideanna123 Thu 28-Apr-16 08:51:07

I wasn't going to give him anything yet as his only 7 weeks I was just wondering how old everyone else weaned at.
It's not an awfully long time 6 hour thanks he obviously wasn't hungry otherwise he would of woke up earlier for his feed. I know when he wants his feeds and I'm not going to wake him every 2 or 3 hours to feed him when his sleeping. If his hungry he would wake up anyway.

X

AlleyCatandRastaMouse Thu 28-Apr-16 08:52:34

Yes 6 months plus.

Purplebluebird Thu 28-Apr-16 08:52:52

5 months. Guidelines in my country says 4-6 m.

welshweasel Thu 28-Apr-16 08:52:59

Sorry, you asked for advice, no need to be like that! Some babies do need waking to feed overnight, obviously you know your baby best but it was just a suggestion grin

MrsMillions Thu 28-Apr-16 08:53:10

I didn't start until 6 months with either of mine. Breastfed them both so no idea how much milk they were taking on board but DD2 in particular was feeding like crazy at that age - and her red book shows she went through a massive growth spurt.

Kim82 Thu 28-Apr-16 08:54:36

We weaned at 17 weeks under the advice and guidance of a paediatrician. She had bottle aversion and horrendous acid reflux so we were advised to wean early to see if it helped as she was losing weight as she was refusing to feed. It did help and she finally started to put weight on.

lukesugars Thu 28-Apr-16 22:36:10

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

blackkat1978 Thu 02-Jun-16 22:31:03

Waited till 6 months for both of mine, not worth taking any risks with internal damage unless for medical reasons

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now