homemade food ideas 8 months

(16 Posts)
Scarlettsmummyxo Sun 14-Feb-16 19:51:00

I've been giving my lo jar foods but I want to give her homemade food instead as I've found out that jars aren't the best? She prefers feeding herself though IE banana ect, any ideas? Thank you!

UmbongoUnchained Sun 14-Feb-16 19:52:03

Just give her what you eat?

zzzzz Sun 14-Feb-16 19:54:06

Whatever you eat minus salt and sugar?

Nan0second Sun 14-Feb-16 19:54:57

The baby led weaning cookbook is full of baby friendly ideas that also suit adults. Highly recommend it.

HeyMicky Sun 14-Feb-16 20:02:14

I feed DD2 (9 months) exactly what I feed DD1 (3.5). This weekend they've eaten cereal, yoghurt, fruit (banana, pears, papaya, berries), eggy bread, sandwiches, beans on toast, cottage pie, salmon with peas and sweet potato wedges, scones and breadsticks with hummus.

I'd just do a variation of whatever the rest of the family eats. You can always mash it a bit if you are spoon feeding.

Scarlettsmummyxo Sun 14-Feb-16 20:16:39

Didn't think about that! I wasn't sure if they couldn't eat certain things we eat 😱 she's very fussy, her favourite is sweet potato but when I tried boiling and mashing it she wouldn't eat it sad

HeyMicky Sun 14-Feb-16 20:22:59

Watch the salt levels (including in bread) and don't give honey before 12 months. Go easy on the chilli.

Otherwise, make life a bit easier for yourself smile

SilverHoney Sun 14-Feb-16 20:39:18

At 8 months weaning is a lot about trying new foods / taste / textures. I also love watching DDs motor skills develop as she tries to feed herself. Don't worry too much about what she likes / dislikes or how much she eats.

Me and DD tend to have cereal for breakfast (weetabix, readybreak, porridge). Hers made with fomula.

Snacks are mostly full fat yoghurt or fruit (banana, wedges of peach, apple softened in the microwave).

Meals can be anything. Fish pie, pasta bake, scrambled eggs, soup and bread, chicken and mash. Some days she wants spoon feeding, other days she refuses the spoon and wants to make a mess feeding herself. Some days she eats lots, others she pushes food away.

Also, just because she refuses a food, try it again another day. I find she chops and changes her mind.

Scarlettsmummyxo Sun 14-Feb-16 21:56:11

Thank you everyone! I'll have a play around and try some things, she's still being breastfed and is very much in love with her milk so I won't fore her too much, I'll just keep trying new things in small portions

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 15-Feb-16 12:44:46

My DD loved sweet potato wedges, just cut into wedges, spray or cover with olive oil and bake in the oven for about 30 mins. Both of mine loved cheese straws and they will keep for a few days in an airtight container, unless she scoffs them all of course!

If she likes feeding herself, have you tried her with things like steamed veg, Yorkshire pud or toad in the hole? Spag bol, fish pie and sardines on toast always went down well here.

These fish cakes are high in calcium and Omega 3 and should freeze well.

For breakfast have you tried blueberry pancakes, porridge fingers or a bowl of chopped fruit?

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 15-Feb-16 12:51:00

Almost forgot, see if your library has got this booksmile

Scarlettsmummyxo Mon 15-Feb-16 21:19:28

Thanks JiltedJohnsJulie I'll have to try your suggestions I bet she'd love them! And I will see if they have the book smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 15-Feb-16 21:45:32

smile

RaniyaF Mon 15-Feb-16 21:54:00

Cook extra veg, chicken fish etc at every main meal and keep a Tupperware box going to give baby picky bits from - or if you're eating something very salty or fancy.

AJ279 Mon 15-Feb-16 22:10:39

Sweet potato chips over heard are a hit with babies. Will definitely be making them when DD is weaned.

BumWad Mon 22-Feb-16 01:21:44

My DS has just turned 9 months (he was 2 months prem) is still on purees

I've been cooking:

Chicken korma
Lentil bake
Salmon and potato
Avocado and banana Puree

He's crap with finger foods but have a look at the annabelle Karmel website there are great recipes there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now