Sippy cup/beaker recommendations

(9 Posts)
stqueen Tue 19-Jan-16 08:45:04

My LO is almost 7 months old & the BL weaning is going well so far. She's having breakfast & dinner, just need to add lunch in a few weeks time. However up to this point, I haven't been offering her a drink at meals, as she's still having a fair bit of milk in between - about 28oz over the day. I think the current advice is for all drinks to be taken from a beaker by 7 months shock & to be off the bottle except for maybe bed time by 12 months sad

I want to introduce a cup st meals & also try to slowly wean her off the teat & taking her feeds from a beaker. Do you offer just water with meals, or milk? I'm loathe to give any sort of juice. Any tips or recommendations for a good cup to start with? LO is FF, using tommee tippee bottles from birth.

TIA

CornishYarg Tue 19-Jan-16 08:55:17

We used the basic Tommee Tippee free flow cup (think it's labelled as suitable for 4 months up). Our HV strongly advised we used free flow rather than one they have to suck to get any liquid, as it teaches them how to sip apparently.

We just offered water in a cup at each meal and had a cup nearby when he was playing. Tbh though, he didn't show much interest in water till he was nearly a year. Milk feeds were at different times from meals anyway so these just carried on as normal.

moggle Wed 20-Jan-16 15:45:06

We started with the tommee tippee free flow cup when DD started BLW at 6m, it took a few weeks for her to learn she had to close her lips around the spout and swallow (previously the water would just fall out of her mouth!). Once she properly got the hang of those I also got her using the ones you have to suck, so I could carry them around without getting water everywhere. She uses a munchkin miracle cup for between-meal sipping around the house, and is 'getting there' with a regular open cup (usually gets spilled straight into her bib).

You may find it difficult getting her from bottle to beaker completely for milk... I personally would wait a bit because you don't want to put her off her milk at this young age. Plus, in a few months she will probably have dropped a couple of milk feeds. Most of my friends have waited until closer to a year to try and move off bottles (with mixed success). DD was BF so we only had this issue with her bedtime bottle. She just flatly refused anything other than her bottle despite happily having water in the sippy cups. I wasn't too fussed to be honest; I didn't think one bottle a day was going to do any harm. Eventually at Christmastime we forgot the bottle when we went to stay with relatives and she did take a nuby cup with a very soft spout.

BumWad Wed 20-Jan-16 22:02:41

Watching closely I spoon feed 7 month old DS water with his meals at the moment he prefers it to his food might try a doidy cup. He's also having around 30oz of formula and 2 meals I'm not rushing though

stqueen Thu 21-Jan-16 22:58:18

Thanks everyone for your responses so far.

I have this cup, which is marketed as a 4-7 month cup m.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/weaning-sippee-cup/

confused

I'm filling it with cooled boiled water & offering it to DD with every meal with no success - she rejects the spout and won't 'suck' it. Not sure whether to persevere a while longer or shop around for a different one. Is this the right type of spout to be using? So confusing!

She's still on 3 bottles a day which she loves, but really want to start working towards lowering the oz in each one!

SnuffleGruntSnorter Thu 21-Jan-16 23:12:39

I think your problem is the non spill valve that it advertises. Our HV advised a free flow cup - so if you turn it upside down water would dribble out. It teaches them to sip instead of suck if that makes sense.

We use either a doidy cup or this one but after a few weeks of practice my son learned to take little sips (and also that blowing bubbles is funhmm) and can take little sips out of any glass etc as long as I hold it and carefully tilt for him

SnuffleGruntSnorter Thu 21-Jan-16 23:14:21

And from six months onwards just tap water if fine for drinking (not for formula though) so no need to boil the kettle

moggle Fri 22-Jan-16 07:50:55

I took the non spill valve out of those to start with so it was essentially free flow- to get DD to realise there was water in it. She had already mastered the free flow cup though.

BumWad Fri 22-Jan-16 10:57:59

I bought that cup too, yes I believe you can remove the valve. DS looks at me like WTF when I give it to him confusedgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now