Charred food?

(4 Posts)
BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 12-Jan-16 20:26:49

Making butternut squash fritters for my 7 month old... The only way I can get them to cook in the middle is if they get a bit charred on the outside, like how bubble & squeak gets a bit charred. Is that OK toiv E to a baby? confused

Wanted some grabbable freezeable food but think I'm just going to stick to freezing portions of our own food for him ha! This is a waste of time and ingredients hmm

moggle Tue 12-Jan-16 21:51:48

Mmm probably not harmful but I've always avoided giving charred food just cos I though it'd put DD off trying things if she didn't like the taste.
I've had trial and error with fritters too. I now find cooking at a low heat for longer gets them cooked through without burning. Also once you take the pan off the heat they carry on cooking a little longer.

NorthernRosie Wed 13-Jan-16 18:04:13

I think charring stuff may be carcinogenic. Obviously not an issue if its the occasional thing but you wouldn't want to regularly give burnt/ charred food. I think!

VulcanWoman Wed 13-Jan-16 18:11:12

I agree carcinogenic, could you cut the burnt bits off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now