Does this sound like the right amount of food for a 6mo

(6 Posts)
Weebeastiebaby Sat 02-Jan-16 10:12:03

Have started weaning my 6mo. Started giving veg purées a couple of weeks early on advice of hv. He is breastfed and quite a big baby. I'm just worrying that he is getting too much food and not enough milk.. Or not enough of the right kinds of food. I feel clueless. Had it all figured out when it came to breastfeeding and now that he's on food I have no idea! This is what he had yesterday.
6am- bf
8am- small bowl of baby porridge
10-11am- bf
12- whole small banana with 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt
3.30pm- bf
4.30pm- bf
5.30pm- homemade veg/potato soup (1/2 adult size bowl) with 1/4 slice of brown bread, one cheese triangle
7pm- 7oz formula bottle
7.45pm- big bf

He rarely seems to be looking for bf and hardly spends a couple of minutes on the breast. He also will now only take one side and seems very distracted. He won't drink water from a sippy cup but is happy to chew and play with the cup. He isn't constipated but seems to be working harder to poo. I don't know whether to let him take water from a bottle or whether the bf between meals is enough fluid for him

CultureSucksDownWords Sat 02-Jan-16 12:52:13

That's a lot of food I think, compared to what my DS had at that age - I was only doing 1 meal a day, BLW so perhaps not much actually going in. Did you start off with 3 meals a day? The general NHS advice is to get to 3 meals a day by around 8 to 9 months.

If you're worried about dropping breastfeeds too soon, then maybe you could drop a meal and see if he is more interested in breastfeeding.

BumWad Sun 03-Jan-16 19:00:00

I'm far from an expert but a small banana and half a bowl of soup seems an awful lot. Is he happy? Pooing normally? Sleeping normally? Does he keep it all down?

My 7 month old still only manages a couple of teaspoons of purees, he was however 7.5 weeks prem and is only 14lb.

Weebeastiebaby Sun 03-Jan-16 20:10:24

It seems like an awful lot to me. I fed him half a banana but he shouts and opens his mouth looking for more.
He's been working a bit harder to poo but does one every day. Sleeps 8-ish hours then gets up for a cuddle. Rarely needs fed before 6am

Portlypenguin Mon 04-Jan-16 17:13:28

My ds2 is 6.5mo and eating 3 meals - i started weaning at 5.5mo, just on fruit/veg.
eg
bfast: ramekin sized bowl baby porridge/fruit puree mix
lunch: About volume equiv of half a baby jar of savoury course (some homemade some bought), offer some finger foods
dinner: as lunch but offer fruit/yog pudding of about petit filous volume after.
DS2 eats modt of that (plays with finger foods really). Breastfeeds first thing, midmorning, after lunch, before bed, 10pm bottle 4oz, twice overnight....our hv said that was fine. I would weigh regularly to check growth for milk adequacy!

Artandco Mon 04-Jan-16 17:23:46

That's does seem a lot. A whole banana is an adult size portion

In comparison using those meals, at 6 months mine would eat roughly

Porridge - about 5 teaspoons full ( that's fully made not the oats)

Lunch - 1/4 banana. A few small spoons of Greek yogurt

Soup - about 5 teaspoons ( 1/4 of small bowl). A 1/4 bread or piece cheese not both

Breastfed every 2-3 hrs in the day. Nothing 11pm-8am

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now