Are bananas and avocados as snacks

(11 Posts)
HeadDreamer Wed 14-Oct-15 08:31:41

I wonder why everyone says bananas and avocados are the most nutrient dense snack for young children?

We went to see the paediatrician yesterday and she mentioned giving DD nutrient dense food. And that rice cakes are worthless. But looking at the labels on the organix rice cakes, it's 393 kcal per 100g. Compared to 204 kcal for avocados and 106 kcal for bananas. Surely that means a rice cake provides more energy than avocado or banana per unit weight?

TheOriginalWinkly Wed 14-Oct-15 08:37:00

But you're never ever going to eat 100g of rice cakes, that's nearly a whole packet of the full sized ones, whereas one banana is a bit over 100g peeled

FrozenPonds Wed 14-Oct-15 08:37:11

But 100g of rice cakes would be a whole pack!

And nutrients are not the same as calories.

dementedpixie Wed 14-Oct-15 08:38:04

A rice cake weighs virtually nothing so you'd need loads of then to get the amount of calories you need from them. Fruits also have vitamins and minerals which wouldn't be in the rice cakes either

hugoagogo Wed 14-Oct-15 08:38:24

Rice cakes only have calories, they are also very light for their size.

Bananas and avocados will contain vitamins and minerals and at least in the case of avocados healthy fat as well.

hugoagogo Wed 14-Oct-15 08:40:24

It doesn't sound as if the paediatrician explained it very well.

HeadDreamer Wed 14-Oct-15 08:52:15

No, she said she's not familiar with such things and would refer us to a dietician if DD2 is not tracking the bottom centile line in 2 months. (She's been bobbing around that line).

As for the banana, DD2 would not eat an entire one either. She eats maybe 1/5 of one? I'm thinking per weight, as in how much it would take to fill her stomach. But yes, maybe I need to think per volume too.

The problem is, she barely eats and have a definitely preference for fruit and veg. If I leave her a plate of snack of grapes, tomatoes, cheese and rice cake, she'll eat the grapes and tomatoes. Same with a dinner of aubergine and chicken, she'll eat the aubergines. It's very very frustrating. She's not a lover of carbs either. (Her older sister loves carbs like a normal child).

G1veMeStrength Wed 14-Oct-15 08:56:25

When I was trying to fatten DS up I went for peanut butter and chocolate milkshakes a lot.

DISCLAIMER: he isn't allergic to anything, had no medical probs, I just thought he seemed a bit too skinny. I look back now and think WTF if I'm honest hmm And he is still skinny.

hugoagogo Wed 14-Oct-15 09:00:18

Can I ask how old she is?

We saw a dietician when dd dropped down the centiles when she was about a year old.

If I remember correctly we were advised to add fat to things where possible so instead of rice cakes you could try salt and shake crisps without the salt obv.
Mashing potatoes with plenty of butter.
If she likes aubergine that's great you can roast them in plenty of olive pop-up they soak it up.
Just throw out all your healthy eating ideas.

hugoagogo Wed 14-Oct-15 09:03:35

Pop-up??!confused oil!

HeadDreamer Wed 14-Oct-15 09:15:14

She's 13mo. She will only be referred for blood tests and dietician if she's dropping off the bottom centile line in the next few months. They are trying to see if she's just naturally tiny, or that there's some other issues. It's probably like G1veMeStrength DS. I just think she looks too skinny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now