Weaning

(9 Posts)
MusicMum18 Sat 15-Aug-15 20:31:51

Hi
Is it too early to start weaning at 4 months?
My little girl is teething and putting everything in her mouth and I was wondering about raw carrot to chomp on to give her relief and get her used to flavours?
My mum weaned me and brother at 4 months and I think this was the norm years ago, also my French friends weaned their 3 year old at 4 months.
What are the pros and cons, what do people advise?
Thanks!

BeautifulBatman Sat 15-Aug-15 20:33:16

Raw carrot, soft fruits, go for it! Just supervise obvs grin

BeautifulBatman Sat 15-Aug-15 20:33:50

Pros - happy healthy baby.
Cons - messy!

SweetPeaPods Sat 15-Aug-15 20:35:01

Cons- can increase allergies/stomach problems not identified till adulthood.
Guidance changes for a reason so not worth it imo.
Google 4 months sleep regression.

callamia Sat 15-Aug-15 20:43:10

Be careful with raw carrot. A while carrot, sure - she's not going to do much to it; a baton might break and cause choking.

All the advice suggests that you wait until six months. Those guidelines are based on the best available research - research better than that available when we were kids. Your baby, your choice though - no one will stop you.

I didn't wean until six months. Pros: no puréeing, didn't have to start faffing with fitting meals in around naps and milk until then (I hated that bit). Cons: none really.

MrsAukerman Mon 17-Aug-15 09:47:26

I still don't trust 8 month ds with raw carrot. Give her a teether.

squizita Wed 19-Aug-15 15:04:43

Teething is no longer considered a sign to wean. Only breast or formula is recommended prior to 6 months.

I would give a plastic teething ring personally.

Cockbollocks Thu 20-Aug-15 22:19:32

Honestly guidelines aside. Do yourself a favour and wait.

Weaning is a nightmare, messy stressful and far more work than milk.

A few more months developmentally and it is much easier (baby led weaning). Hold out if you can.

MusicMum18 Fri 21-Aug-15 21:33:43

Thanks everyone, I'm going to wait, she's still a bit wobbly with her head anyway! Xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now