Boobs over bowls...

(7 Posts)
LionRichie Wed 12-Aug-15 11:08:07

I've had lots of problems getting my 12 month old to eat solids. Up until very recently, she had big issues with gagging/puking on finger foods. So I stopped giving her purees, served up only BLW recipes, and endured the most stressful month ever!

She's still not great but tends to spit lumps out now (instead of expelling them on a tide of vomit) and will swallow a few mouthfuls every meal. Yay! She will now not allow a spoon anywhere near her, so we just let her get on with feeding herself.

But my current issues is that she wants to breastfeed 6 times a day and doesn't seem to consider solid food anything more than a fun plaything. I was wondering whether anyone else has experienced this and if you tried reducing milk feeds?

She's healthy and happy, so my instincts are to just let her have milk for as long as she wants. I presume she will decide she wants to eat actual food before she starts school...

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 12-Aug-15 12:41:17

I'd just feed her in the day if that's ok with you. The danger of reducing daytime feeds is that they will fill up at night I'm looking at you DS.

My DS was very much like your DD. has she been checked for tongue tie?

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 14-Aug-15 08:21:33

How are you getting on lion?

AnxiousAggie Fri 14-Aug-15 10:49:13

How's it going op? As jjj said, I'd just go with it. She's still young and she'll drop her milk feeds in her own time.

LionRichie Sat 15-Aug-15 21:54:10

Doing Ok, thanks for asking. Still offering lovingly cooked meals and baby is still not eating more than a few micro-bites! She has great fun rubbing food into her own face and throwing it around but very little is swallowed. She is surviving on 95% breastmilk and 5% organix crisps at the moment.

She seems healthy although she's not really gained much weight in the last few months (just started crawling though and is still 50th percentile so not skinny). I'm just usure if I should be persevering with spoon feeding so we actually get some food into her, or if to keep on with the self feeding approach and hope she starts eating more when she's ready. She gets very upset with being spoon fed and it feels like a step back when she has started picking things up and trying to munch on them. I could go see the HV but don't want someone overreacting when baby will probably get there in her own time.

Today she has swallowed: a few nibbles of toast, half a breadstick, a tiny piece of roast chicken, a decent amount of broccoli, 2 organix carrot crisps, 1/2 a piece of macaroni cheese (lots went in but was spat out again), and an Ella's kitchen fruit pouch. She licked several pieces of fresh fruit, threw some cucumber on the floor, and crushed several ravioli in her little fists but wouldn't eat them. This was a very good day!

LionRichie Sat 15-Aug-15 21:55:51

She was checked for tongue tie at 1 day old and has never had issues with latching on so presuming she's OK?

AnxiousAggie Sat 15-Aug-15 22:11:16

I'm no expert but that doesn't sound too bad to me. You could always do spoon feeding and blw, that's what i'm doing. Ds doesn't always accept a spoon but occasionally he does and i can get a few mouthfuls in. Sometimes i think he's eaten hardly anything and then i see evidence to the contrary in his nappy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now