Getting a 1yr old to eat fruit

(11 Posts)
zoeedge Fri 24-Jul-15 11:34:15

Looking for any any ideas on how to get my 13mth old son to eat fruit as a snack or part of a meal he generally eats really well and has the same meals as us at mealtimes however he just won't eat fruit only if it's pureed when he will eat tons of it!!! It would just be good to have another option for snacks
Thank you xx

WishUponAStar88 Fri 24-Jul-15 11:36:30

Would he eat soft fruit mashed (berries/ peach) etc so it's not as smooth but still on a spoon then gradually decrease the amount of mashing?

zoeedge Fri 24-Jul-15 11:40:43

Will that a go - it's strange how he will eat everything else of all textures from mash potato to sausages!! Think I need to perservere x

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 26-Jul-15 20:02:40

Mine like milk shakes. We whizz up a banana in full fat milk and add any fruit we have in.

Have you tried him with thinks like halved grapes with cheese? Does he just leave the fruit?

chocolatedonut Sun 26-Jul-15 20:08:53

I suggest you just keep putting it out and not pressuring him to eat it. I find my DD clears her plate when she's just left to get on with it. At the start when I was fussing/ being very encouraging she wouldnt touch anything. She's almost 14mo. She loves - grapes halved, strawberries (cut up or whole), tangerine segments and fingers of melon. I normally chop them up and just put the plate out alongside her meal and she will go back and forth helping herself. She won't touch banana or peaches. I am hoping to try her with apples and pears soon (they have seemed too hard in the past).

Does he eat vegetables?

Rollermum Sun 26-Jul-15 20:10:52

Berries chopped small and mixed into greek yogurt has been a great staple for getting fruit into my DD. Now a bit older she also likes apple slices and tangerine segments - just as PP said, offering it occasionally and seeing you have them.

Joneseygirl77 Sun 26-Jul-15 21:12:37

I had a similar thing with my 15mo dd as she didn't really start eating fruit till she was about 12mo. She's still a bit funny and will only eat certain things- bananas, apples, pears. She loves vegetables though and will eat most of them. For some reason, she won't entertain berries of any kind or melon/pineapple etc. She is the same at nursery too. I just keep offering and figure one day she'll eat it and not just throw it on the floor!

We did have the same thing with apples/pears to start but we've made progress with them now! Just keep offering and she'll eat th eventually. Someone did also tell me that they do get better with fruit once their molars come in too.

Pointlessfan Sun 26-Jul-15 21:15:35

What about freezing bananas or mangoes then whizzing in food processor to make " ice cream"?

Milkyway1304 Sun 26-Jul-15 21:25:09

My 15month old only started eating fruit recently. Now she absolutely loves it. However she's gone off green veg which she adored before. Just keep offering.

zoeedge Mon 27-Jul-15 17:04:27

Thanks everyone will keep offering it to him love the idea of milkshakes too so will give that a go!! He loves his veggies and eats loads of them just fruit that's our nemesis altho he will eat pureed fruit!! He has recently been very independent and wants to feed himself all the time so will put it out each time!! Think mummy needs to just relax about it xx

squizita Tue 28-Jul-15 09:20:50

DD eats smoothy fruit but will also pick up little half blueberries cold from the fridge. I now chop fruit into little finger size balls. So pfb.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now