Cows milk

(6 Posts)
cjt110 Tue 14-Jul-15 14:27:19

So we started giving DS who is now 11m a bit of cows milk, mixed into his formula. He has had cows milk in his cereal etc since 6m. He has also had yoghurts, cheese and other dairy since then too.

We started it on Thursday and he started to have bad loose nappies, smelly as anything, being sick (instead of just possetting), had had pain in his tummy from what I can gather and has been excessively windy. We stopped the cows milk on Sunday and he has been fine since (although still very loose nappies).

Can anyone suggest what we could do with regards to milk? I know that the GP did suspect a cows milk intolerance when he had a particularly bad eczema flare up.

SweetAndFullOfGrace Tue 14-Jul-15 14:33:37

We have just kept DD on formula and not switched to milk (she's 18 months). We don't need to switch for budget reasons and my logic is

(a) I'm slightly lactose intolerant as are many people (estimates are up to 80% of the population, very mild symptoms only for most) and cow's milk isn't great for you so if I can avoid it but still get her to have a calcium source why not,

(b) humans are designed to have breast milk top ups until late toddler years and beyond, I don't want to extended breast feed but formula is closer than cow's milk to what DD's system is evolved to take,

(c) it's already fortified with various vitamins so I don't have to give her vitamin drops as well.

HeiressesGiltnor Tue 14-Jul-15 14:36:37

Sweet but formula is cows milk! Unless you give your DD a lactose free one?

I'm dreading doing the swap myself, as my son has terrible reflux and is on super thick anti reflux milk.

I think I am going to try offering him an oz or two of cows milk on its own as an extra to his formula. That way I'll be able to see if he likes it and if he can keep it down (unlikely!!)

But it's looking like we'll have to stay on anti reflux formula past 12 months!

SweetAndFullOfGrace Tue 14-Jul-15 14:39:29

True. The lactose is treated though. Evidently it's less of a problem than "raw". If you have a proper food intolerance issue with your DS you might need a different solution.

cjt110 Tue 14-Jul-15 14:41:58

I was lactose intolerant and on Wysoy as a baby (I understand they dont advise Wysoy now particularly for boys as it has high levels of oestrogen and can cause infertility).

He happily takes yoghurts, cheese and formula without any issue.

HeiressesGiltnor Tue 14-Jul-15 15:32:46

Yeah I don't know if he has any. I'm tempted to get him tested privately. Will see how we go with the odd oz first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now