Cow's milk allergy or eczema?

(3 Posts)
Loops81 Fri 10-Jul-15 13:20:50

Does anyone have experience of dairy allergies that cause a rash?

I stopped breastfeeding my LO just over a month ago, when she was 13 m/o. She now has a bottle of full-fat cow's milk three times a day. In the last month or so she has developed red eczema-like patches on her arms and legs (which we are treating with creams.) Could this have anything to do with the cow's milk? We always gave her yoghurt and cheese before, but I wonder if the recent increase in volume of dairy has affected her. Or is it just a coincidence that the eczema is showing up now?

Giraffeski Fri 10-Jul-15 13:25:29

My two youngest DC have a cows milk allergy and their eczema definitely gets worse when they have accidentally had some dairy.
In fact it isnt present at all most of the time.
I would cut it out for two weeks and see if it makes a difference. keep a food diary to show the doctor. BUT be careful about replacing it with soy milk as a lot of babies with cows milk protein allergy are also allergic to soy so if you use something like alpro 1 which is designed for toddlers and it doesn't immediately clear up, then try replacing with something else entirely like oat milk.

BunnyRuddington Sat 11-Jul-15 17:30:35

It could well be an allergy. Have a read of this and see what you think.

The recommendation at this age is for a minimum of 300ml of full fat cows milk a day, so could you cut her down to that whilst you wait to see your GP?

I'd also try her with things like tinned salmon, with the bones, great in a sandwich or fish cakes and tinned sardines on toast as both of these have goid fats, omega 3 and are high in calcium. Also try her with smooth almond butter as this too is a source of good fat and calcium and green veg like brocolli.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now