booze in beef stew

(9 Posts)
Greenstone Thu 28-May-15 12:48:00

I always marinade my beef in either Guinness or red wine before making stew, then slow cook it for ages. I give it to my 3 year old and have done since she was about 1.5 I guess? I'm guessing I can't really give it to my 7 month old or what do you reckon?

SoftSheen Thu 28-May-15 12:50:39

If you cook the meat for several hours, the alcohol will evaporate and it should therefore be fine.

Seriouslyffs Thu 28-May-15 12:51:23

It's fine. There's a big difference between marinating then slow cooking v flambéeing in cognac!

SunnyBaudelaire Thu 28-May-15 12:52:13

I think it would be fine - surely the alcohol burns off?

Seriouslyffs Thu 28-May-15 12:52:37

FYI less alcohol evaporates than you'd think, so for people avoiding alcohol for religious or addiction reasons I'd be less relaxed.

Greenstone Thu 28-May-15 14:06:08

Nice one, glad to hear these replies! Realistically the baby will only be eating a tiny bit anyway.

dairyfreequeen Sat 30-May-15 00:42:48

Did this without thinking about it this week blush Ds loved it! No ill effects or let up on his 2 hourly wakings

SunnyBaudelaire Sat 30-May-15 12:31:33

thank you for this thread, I went home and made a lovely beef and ale stew, shin of beef, lots of parsley and vegetables and a bottle of Bank's bitter. Lovely!

squizita Sun 31-May-15 14:55:12

Seriously slow cooking breaks down the alcohol. I've seen it done as an experiment (vs burning off). There is none in there really after a good long stew.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now