How often do you give fruit?

(5 Posts)
Hobby2014 Thu 07-May-15 14:30:01

I give ds(9months) quite a lot. He's started really 'getting' food now and eats quite a lot, not just throwing it around.
He's got 7 teeth already and an 8th on its way. I know fruit is really bad for their teeth. His teeth are brushed twice a day but don't know if I should reduce fruit still.
This morning for example, he ate a crumpet for breakfast and then half a banana, 4 blueberries, 2 raspberries and a strawberry.
Is that ok?

Annabanana1812 Thu 07-May-15 22:12:07

I think that's ok, my GP said its how the fruit is handled if it's mashed or puréed it breaks down the sugar which is worse so smoothies are bad for teeth in large amounts I don't know if it's true. My lo is 7 months and has Apple n pear in porridge and bleverris and mango in yogurt loads of fruit confused

squizita Fri 08-May-15 11:05:29

Yeah just avoid mashing/cooking it.

I think the risk is people giving MOSTLY fruit as it's sweet, baby likes it and it's "healthy" (for adults who don't want to grow bigger! Babies have different needs).

Hobby2014 Fri 08-May-15 11:20:50

Thanks both.
It's always whole, never mashed, puréed or cooked. So I feel a bit better. And he always has his proper meal first and that's afterwards.

DilysMoon Fri 08-May-15 13:33:26

Try and keep it to meal times rather than as snacks, that was the advice from our dentist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now