finger foods at 10 months

(12 Posts)
butterfly86 Fri 24-Apr-15 15:23:36

My 10 month old dd took to weaning brilliantly and will now eat anything and has a huge appetite, the only problem is with finger foods, I think I was maybe overly cautious in the beginning but she hasn't grasped this side of it so well, there's no problem getting food in to her mouth and her pincer grip is great just if I give her a bigger piece of food like a finger of toast or a rice cake etc she just puts the whole thing in then it ends up getting stuck in her throat cue me smacking her on the back! So currently she had toast but broken in to small pieces, just wondering is this a problem or has anyone else had the same? She has no teeth either if that's relevant?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 25-Apr-15 22:05:51

She really doesn't need teeth for eating, so don't worry about that smile

If her pincer grip is good, try frozen peas (yes, still frozen), Cheerios without milk, grapes cut in half or cherry toms cut in half. Raisins might go down well too.

Other things to try are cubes of cheese, dried fig (high in calcium), spears of brocollolli or cauliflower, roasted veg, raw veg and hummus, homemade lollies, strips of cooked meat or omelette and a Yorkshire pud.

Don't forget too, if you are cautious your lo will be too smile

lunalovegood84 Sun 26-Apr-15 13:34:29

I have a 10mo too, also probably been too cautious with finger foods. He manages toast in thin strips pretty well but also tries to stuff way too much in his mouth at once and we had a scary incident with a piece of pear. He has bits of banana, florets of broccoli and he loves those baby cheese puffs. Watching for inspiration!

seasaltbaby Sun 26-Apr-15 18:21:31

Some of the fav finger foods for my 10month old are-shreddies, toast, crumpets, cubes cheese, cream cheese sandwich, blueberries, strawberries, half cherry tomatoes, grapes, cucumber, satsumas, raisins, meatballs, strips of meat, carrot. Suffice to say he likes his food! We've mostly let him feed himself since the start though.

butterfly86 Sun 26-Apr-15 19:56:48

Thank you for the replies smile I'm definitely being too cautious, I'd be petrified to give her half a cherry tomato! She had some blueberries and strawberries at breakfast today but I chopped the strawberry in to little chunks and the blueberries in half haha grin I don't want to hold her back but I'm terrified she'll choke.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 26-Apr-15 22:25:50

Why would the risk of choking be higher with finger foods than puree? Just curious as plenty of babies choke on purees smile

butterfly86 Mon 27-Apr-15 08:56:27

I just imagine bigger chunks are more likely to get stuck whereas puree just slides down!

TwoLittleTerrors Mon 27-Apr-15 12:22:16

Bigger chunks are unlikely to get stuck. Surely you have never heard of anyone choking on a piece of toast? You are more likely to choke on smaller objects isn't it?

FYI I did BLW with 2 DDs and you always start with large chip sized pieces. By the time they can pick up peas and cherry tomatoes and grapes they are 3-4 months into self feeding already.

TwoLittleTerrors Mon 27-Apr-15 12:23:30

And yes you can choke on water. Like going down the wrong side sometimes!

TwoLittleTerrors Mon 27-Apr-15 12:26:46

But no I don't imagine it's a problem they don't learn to eat a piece of toast until older. Sounds like your LO is chewing anyway.

Only problem is you being the poor mum who has to cut up all the strawberries grin. I just gave them whole strawberries. And obviously if you are going back to work and he attends a nursery, he will need to self feed the same food as all the other children.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 27-Apr-15 18:05:10

Don't be lulled into as false sense of security with the purees, your baby is just as likely to choke on purees and small pieces of food.

If you find it hard to relax around food, have you thought of doing a Paed first aid course? smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 30-Apr-15 23:34:30

How are you getting on now butter?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now