7.5mths old not mouthing objects not putting food to mouth, should I be concerned?

(8 Posts)
JaneyY123 Wed 09-Apr-14 11:27:41

Hello there. My second dd is so different to my first who grabbed food and ate it herself at 6 months, I did baby-led weaning that worked well for us. My second dd is now 7 and a half months old and she won't even mouth toys let alone food so I have tried to spoon food in. She will take baby porridge but not much else. I really want to do baby-led weaning so can I wait until she shows signs of mouthing objects (delay solids)? Should I be concerned that she isn't mouthing objects? Anyone with a similar experience? Thanks.

Cucumber79 Thu 24-Apr-14 07:04:15

Hi, I am in the same boat. Both my sons started at 6m, but my daughter is 7 months and not interested in food. She does not mouth objects, so no hope of doing BLW with her at present. I've tried spoon feeding, but she doesn't seem to know what to do with it!

WasOnlyAsking Tue 29-Apr-14 15:16:04

hi, so dd nearly 8mths now and she is taking food off a spoon but refusing a lot. She turns her nose up at any mashed fruit and she is still not mouthing objects, any progress with your dd? It takes forever to feed her. Presumably she will start grabbing food one day I just wish I knew by when!

Cucumber79 Wed 14-May-14 23:45:02

So my daughter is nearly 8 months old, still not mouthing and still not eating anything much. Occasional swallow of something on a teaspoon or a finger is all. But I have seen a developmental therapist (as she has a few other issues with weight-bearing through her arms) and she is going to talk to the speech language therapist. I am wondering if she also has some coordination issue with her mouth (partly due to not mouthing things?), as when presented with food she sticks her tongue out and seems to try to lap it up, and with food in her mouth its like she doesn't know what to do with it! It is nice to know I am not alone in this though.

lolalotta Sun 18-May-14 07:03:36

My DD is eight and a half months and has only just this week started putting food to her mouth. She didn't put toys to her mouth either!

WasOnlyAsking Sun 18-May-14 08:47:05

dd now nearly 9mths, feeding well off a spoon but still putting nothing in her mouth. she started out doing that lapping thing that Cucumber79 describes. I'd be keen to know what the speech therapist says, as in is this oral stage essential to learning speech etc. my dd is picking things up and playing with them in her hands just not putting them in her mouth.
lolalotta it is good to hear that your dd just started perhaps mine will start soon.

Cucumber79 Wed 06-Aug-14 03:32:56

How is everyone doing? Thought I'd post an update. My Daughter is now 10.5 months old and has started both eating and mouthing things. While she would take little bits (like 1 tsp or so) off a spoon now and then after 9 months, it didn't progress and she wasn't keen. It wasn't till all of a sudden she started putting things in her mouth at 10 months - she then began to eat some banana and toast. She will now let me spoon feed her some stuff too. Yay!! She still doesn't mouth tons of stuff, and doesn't mouth (or pick up) little stuff yet.

We have been seeing the Paediatrician and a developmental therapist. She is getting closer to crawling and has some issues with her upper arms, but this is definitely improving as she gets older. I don't know if this played a part in the mouthing thing, but I feel overall she was just slower in development. I'll be interested to hear how everyone else has got on!

WasOnlyAsking Wed 06-Aug-14 14:15:31

Hi so pleased to hear it is going well for you now. My dd also started to feed herself at around 10.5mths, she is now approaching 1yr and is absolutely fine. She can walk with a toddle truck. She isn't brilliant and using her sippy cup but she can do it, she still doesn't put toys in her mouth, she occasionally attempts to rip up and eat tissues. I think she was just so different to my first dd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now