Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Weaning not happening, 6 month old

(18 Posts)
WineSpider Tue 08-Apr-14 07:15:00

My 25 week old DD is really not taking to it. We are doing fruit & veg purees - she sits in her high chair fine but pulls a face when she tastes it then refuses anymore.

I've tried thinning the purée with her formula and mixing with baby rice and she does seem to like fruit ones a bit more.

She is now waking up every night to take a 6/7 ounce bottle on top of the 5 bottles she had in the day so is obviously hungry.

Should I keep trying every day or give it a break and come back to it?

Thanks.

noblegiraffe Tue 08-Apr-14 07:24:21

Purées aren't going to fill her up, especially in the amounts when they start weaning so if she's hungry, more milk would be the way to go. You could try an extra milk feed in the day, see if that sorts out the night one?

She's only a week off 6 months, maybe you could try her with some finger food - a banana, a piece of broccoli or similar, to see whether she likes that better.

rachyconks Tue 08-Apr-14 07:25:10

Have you tried her on finger foods? A finger of buttered toast maybe that she can gum? My DD hated purées and would only take finger foods.

cafebistro Tue 08-Apr-14 07:27:50

My DD really wasn't interested in food until about 9 months. Maybe try finger foods and if still no interest leave it for a couple of weeks and come back to it.

lanbro Tue 08-Apr-14 07:29:59

Why not try baby led weaning? There is no rush to wean, some babies are ready earlier, some later but if you offer finger food baby can go at her own pace and it helps motor skills too .

I did blw with my first and am doing it again with my second. Dd2 is nearly 7 months but is eating more and better than dd1 did at the same age. Gill Rapley's Baby Led Weaning book is a good read.

ArtFine Tue 08-Apr-14 07:46:49

WineSpide, my LO didn't really take to weaning either, and I've now realised that I've been giving her too much milk during the day, and when offered solids she just wasn't hungry enough. Could this be the case with you?

I am now following the gina ford routine to ensure that when its lunch and dinner time she is hungry.

Artandco Tue 08-Apr-14 08:57:48

I would just up bottles to 6 a day for a few weeks so she isn't waking Hungary. Food is fun until 1 and all that.

Just give her finger food to try as well.

Carrot = diet food
Milk = high calories

Guess which one will fill her more

Percephone Tue 08-Apr-14 09:47:59

My baby is the same, WineSpider. He is 7 months now and completely refuses anything on a spoon. I give him finger foods which he has a little play with but nothing actually goes in his mouth. confused Do you think I could be giving him too much milk ArtFine? He is having a 7oz bottle 5 times a day. In fact we wake him up at 9pm for the last one blush (sorry for the hijack OP!).

ArtFine Tue 08-Apr-14 17:53:15

Perscephone, I don't personally know, but according to gina, for -9 month olds:

7am - full milk feed and then breakfast
9-9.30/45 - nap
11.45 - lunch
12.30 -2.30 - nap
2.30 - milk feed
5 - dinner
6- bath
6.30 - final feed
7 - bed

So only three feeds during the day.

WineSpider Tue 08-Apr-14 18:06:08

Thank you all for posting.

We tried some baby rice today which she loved - but I've read that it's not good for babies to have this. I guess I could try mixing some purees into it?

ArtFine Tue 08-Apr-14 18:23:44

Sorry that was meant to read 6-9 months old not 9 months old.

neolara Tue 08-Apr-14 18:27:55

My ds refused food for two whole months. Every day, three meals a day, I put food on his tray and watched him push it away. He eventually succumbed to a peach when he was 8 months old. From then on there was no stopping him.

Artandco Tue 08-Apr-14 19:45:43

See that Gina advice goes against government advice. Which would be milk before food at that age

So in comparison I would say

7.30am milk 7oz
8.30am try a little porridge/ what your having. Ie a spoon or two max not whole bowl
10am milk 7oz
12.30pm milk 7oz
3pm milk 7oz
5.30pm milk 7oz
6pm 'dinner' offer a little of what you Have or few spoons of baby food
7.30pm milk 7oz

Bed

Babies at 6 months shouldn't be having min milk and 3 meals a day. Milk is still very important. As the weeks go on you can add a little lunch also, then gradually increase portions of food and decrease milk feeds. Babies at 12 months should still be on 500ml of milk a day which is roughly 3 bottles or 2 large ones. So you have 6 more months, ie her whole life again to gradually work down to that.

Chunderella Tue 08-Apr-14 20:02:37

DD was always a puree refuser and was never interested in any solids really until about 8 months. It's not uncommon, but do keep giving your DD the option because once they get past six months, although they get most of their nutrients from milk they don't get them all. Maybe take a few days then try again. I would also always say it's worth offering finger food if your baby has refused spoon feeding, and vice versa. Because you do get some who only like one or the other.

Percephone Tue 08-Apr-14 21:38:55

Thank you, that is helpful for me too smile

Stubbed Tue 08-Apr-14 21:47:13

Neither of mine were interested in bring spoon fed til 7 months. It was a right battle til then. But they would always play with finger food, and eat it, so try some of that: toast, bananas, steamed veg, rice cakes and cream cheese, etc... Then a yoghurt to get some spoon practice.
Eventually - I kept trying - they seemed to get it, and started eating what I offered them.
I waited til 6 months then offered them food at every meal time as I ate.

WineSpider Thu 10-Apr-14 18:32:56

Well, baby rice seems to be a favourite. Tried mixing it in with sweet potato today which also went down well. Not sure if it was that it she's just more ready but it is progress either way!

Thank you for your posts.

Chunderella Thu 10-Apr-14 20:35:06

Great news. Baby rice is fine btw, just unfashionable amongst certain sections of the internet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now