Paedia shake - what next!

(12 Posts)

Has anyone seen the "paedia shake" for children? It's designed for fussy eaters. It says ALONGSIDE meals but at 225ml per glass, I wouldn't have thought you would have room for actual food.

hazeyjane Mon 07-Apr-14 12:59:04

Do you mean Pediasure?

It's designed primarily for children with a very limited diet, and low calorie intake, and usually taken under recommendation of a dietician or hcp. There is also a drink with less calories and fat that can be given alongside a limited diet, where there are no weight concerns.

I don't see what the issue is?

poorbuthappy Mon 07-Apr-14 13:00:09

If that is true hazey it should only be available from the doctors. Boots sell it.

hazeyjane Mon 07-Apr-14 13:07:07

Yes, that is the second drink I mentioned, with lower calories, not intended for children with weight concerns.

I understand things like this under a dr but to be able to buy it in boots with no advice just seems worrying

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 07-Apr-14 13:17:47

I agree. It should definately be something recommended by a HCP. Used wrongly it could probably make a child ill. Or make the situation worse as they rely to heavily on the drink and child becomes even less interested in food.

The advert on tv just now made it look as natural as giving your child an apple or glass of milk BUT it was called substitute - that was the bit that concerned me.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 07-Apr-14 13:31:34

It's on a par with those toddler milk adverts I expect.

Has a knack of basically giving people the chance to think they can feed their kids on crap then make it up with this nutritionally balanced milk/drink.

2nd ingredient is SUGAR. How is that good :-(

I found on the BootsMed website;

CYANOCOBALAMIN WARNINGS
Cyanocobalamin should be used with caution in children.......

confused

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 07-Apr-14 17:17:57

What is it?

hazeyjane Mon 07-Apr-14 17:54:02

vitamin b12

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now