Webchat with Tristram Hunt, Labour education shadow, MONDAY 27 April at 12 midday ×

How do I BLW my 6mo

(5 Posts)

DD is nearly 6 months. We have tried her with a few spoonfuls if this and that, but she gets really angry! She will just about let me spoon something in so long as she holds the spoon and I sort of guide it. I gave her some rice cakes and carrot puffs tonight during dinner (she's been sitting in her high chair during meal times for a while now) and she loved them! She must have eaten about 5 puffs and a rice cake. Her eyes every time I put another one on the tray - bless her! grin
So, to cut a long story short, I think BLW is the way forward. Only thing that's worrying me is I go back to work just after she turns 7mo. She is EBF and refuses a bottle. I know BLW is much slower than blitzed food (by 7mo my DS was on 3 meals a day and just 2 cups of formula in between, I then BF'd him at home). How do I deal with that for her going to nursery?

Sorry for the long post; if you got through all that I suppose I'm looking for reassurance as well as advice on what to do next.

AnythingNotEverything Fri 04-Apr-14 19:53:42

She sounds like an independently minded soul - blw may suit her!

DD is only 23 weeks but stole my banana from me a fortnight ago and starting chomping on it, so we've been blw ever since.

If your DD is already at 26 weeks it might be easy - you can just put some of your dinner on her high chair tray and let her get on with it. She may not eat much for a week or so but you may be surprised at how much actually gets in. You have to avoid salt, sugar, honey, and some types of fish I think. The NHS site has the list.

You can start with some big bits of well steamed carrot or ripe pear. A crinkle cut chip cutter is useful to cut them so they're easy to hold.

Also, reading up on the difference between gagging and choking. Blw is a real learning curve for them but they progress pretty quickly.

I weaned DS on purees and this seems so much easier. I have no advice aboit going back to work and nursery, other than I'm sure she won't be te first and will manage just fine. She may take a fair bit of milk in a cup. I was surprised at how well DD can get hers to her mouth.

Thank you. Think I'll invest in a steamer and try some of the foods you've suggested. Ah well it's an exciting unknown journey with each new one that comes along I suppose!

AnythingNotEverything Fri 04-Apr-14 23:57:08

There are a couple of books by Gill Rapley which are great (including a cook book) and a website with a good forum (although there's obviously a wealth if great advice here too!).

KatAndKit Sun 06-Apr-14 08:03:03

I strongly recommend reading the baby led weaning book. I found it very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now